• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D140FX vs D140R / D160R vs Something else

PrintItBig

Hi,

We're considering buying one of the below cutters to run alongside our Latex 360.

It will mostly be used for print and cut graphics, printed and laminated floor graphics and very occasional standard vinyl. We would want to kiss cut but also have the option to cut right through the material.

We'd be running the machine through Caldera.

I know the FX model is more limited on material sizes but unless I'm missing something I can only see this being a very occasional minor annoyance and the FX machine is quite a bit cheaper. I've spoken to a couple of resellers and they have advised against the FX machine as it's "just a cut down version of the R" saying it hasn't got as many motors and won't handle heavier material. Not sure how true this is?

Will we be OK with the FX model (as it's quite a bit cheaper) or would the R model be more suitable?

Or are we better off with something else perhaps a Graphtec (which one of the reps was desperate to sell me).

Summa D140FX
Summa D140R / D160R
Something else? Graphtec?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

FatCat

Have had our D-140 for nearly 7 years now - excellent machine for cutting vinyl and prints. The only thing I wish was that I had gotten the 160 version to be able to cut 60" rolls, as we do quite a few wraps and all the color change materials are 60".

PrintItBig

Thanks for the reply.

How do you find the machine cutting heavier stuff like laminated floor graphics?

Does it handle it OK?

FatCat

Thanks for the reply.

How do you find the machine cutting heavier stuff like laminated floor graphics?

Does it handle it OK?

Yes, it handles pretty much all materials well. I will note, that for thicker and harder to cut materials we often switch to the 60 degree blade to aid in cutting. (Reflective, Phototex, extra heavy laminates, etc.)

For floor graphics the textured laminate we use is no problem for the standard blades, but if you were doing a lot of cuts I might swap out for the 60 degree.

geNe36

Just Sharing
D140FX is basic enough for your work. Thicker materials may be a bit slower as it only has the X motor... btw, HP OEM this model...

It is as advertised:

No gimmick