• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa D160R - cut drifts off over long cuts

heyitsme

Hi there, at my workplace I use a Summacut D160R to cut things printed with a HP Latex 365 but recently it seems to be getting worse at cutting where it's supposed to.

For example - just did a vinyl print of about 2m length, I had a 10mm bleed on it, but from the start to the end it still drifted off enough I've got whitespace on my cut graphic. These seems to happen with anything over a meter or so.
I thought the point of the OPOS barcode was to also know if the vinyl loaded isn't quite straight and then corrects it (though I'm careful to try and put it in as straight as possible before lowering the handle)

I've tried recalibrating OPOS on the summa panel (l did just before this 2m print that went wrong), what should I try next to try and diagnose/fix the problem?

Thanks!

FrankW

OPOS will not help if, after registrating the marks, bad tracking will lead to deviation.

Check your tracking bei their impression of the grit rollers (see attached pictures). Could be that there is something wrong, perhaps the pinch roller.

Other suggestion: make more, but smaller jobs. 2m could be a problem depending on media.

Attachments

• E2B5C6ED-DD74-4397-BB74-6C254BD29B5B.jpeg
    E2B5C6ED-DD74-4397-BB74-6C254BD29B5B.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 249

heyitsme

OPOS will not help if, after registrating the marks, bad tracking will lead to deviation.

Check your tracking bei their impression of the grit rollers (see attached pictures). Could be that there is something wrong, perhaps the pinch roller.

Other suggestion: make more, but smaller jobs. 2m could be a problem depending on media.

Thanks for the reply, i did the roller test, and strangely only the far left and far right (sliding position one) leave an imprint at all, though you can see the middle pinch rollers are indeed touching the media and gripping, but i'm guessing with not enough force to leave an imprint which seems like it could be a culprit!

Is the pressure for each adjustable?

FrankW

Thanks for the reply, i did the roller test, and strangely only the far left and far right (sliding position one) leave an imprint at all, though you can see the middle pinch rollers are indeed touching the media and gripping, but i'm guessing with not enough force to leave an imprint which seems like it could be a culprit!

Is the pressure for each adjustable?
The middle rollers are working with lower pressure than the outer rollers by default.

heyitsme

Still having this problem, any other suggestions from people with a similar issue?
Pinch rollers seem ok, yet after years of being fine, now nothing cuts accurately.

Could the sensor be damaged, so it doesn't know how to correct a slightly skewed print? (I'm careful to load-in as straight as possible though)

Other than adding about 20mm bleed on everything I have no other ideas what to do with this Cutter, It's useless now it can't do any prints reliably that are any longer than about 2m

Gary1

Hi there, at my workplace I use a Summacut D160R to cut things printed with a HP Latex 365 but recently it seems to be getting worse at cutting where it's supposed to.

For example - just did a vinyl print of about 2m length, I had a 10mm bleed on it, but from the start to the end it still drifted off enough I've got whitespace on my cut graphic. These seems to happen with anything over a meter or so.
I thought the point of the OPOS barcode was to also know if the vinyl loaded isn't quite straight and then corrects it (though I'm careful to try and put it in as straight as possible before lowering the handle)

I've tried recalibrating OPOS on the summa panel (l did just before this 2m print that went wrong), what should I try next to try and diagnose/fix the problem?

Thanks!
Use OPOS paneling. I cut stuff that’s 10’ long, striping, lettering, printed and laminated on reflective. Turn velocity down, I set anything rated for g’s down to about 1. Check and clean pinch wheels. I also added two more pinch wheels. Vendor said that won’t do anything but it does! Tracks better and reduces any slipping or any high stress to the motors. It’s just works better now. Another thing you can do is an indeed and out feed table to bring the drag to “0”. 3M 680CR is very heavy and cutting 6’-8’ I had major issues with it just dumping into the basket. Made the out feed and I feed tables and it works like a charm. I since stopped using 3M 680CR for this reason and because the widest is only 48”. 54” reflective far better.

unmateria

If it happens with much y-axis movement changes (like cuting many stickers), usually are the 2 motors pulleys of the y-axis. Just re-tight the allen grub screw in all 3 pulleys.

If the problem is the same cutting a big square, usually a pinch roller is not in its place or the knife is not sharpen at all (or blocked knife bearing)

heyitsme

Gary1 turning on OPOS panelling didn't work, made no difference unfortunately and I alwats recalibrate opos before lots of small stickers as that used to help (doesn't seem to anymore though)

unmateria the problem is the same wether it's big square or lots of small items, will always drift off the further down the printout it is. Pinch rollers all seem fine and not good track as someone mentioned above. I'll try opening it up and looking for the allen grub screws and try a new blade.

Image attached of what it does...
SummaCantCutMoreLike.jpg

unmateria

Yep, try with allen key and those little prisoner screws. im pretty sure that kind of drift is caused by those loose pulleys. Check both pf motors springs and screws too... But usually is just giving some more torque to the pulleys screws

cornholio

There is some media, that just can't take the curing heat from a Latex. It skews the medium and tracking isn't possible. (Had it lately on a brand new Latex800 S-Class2 combo. We even waited overnight for the medium to settle, but it only helped to a small extent)
Using another vinyl solved it instantly.