• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa D60R

0x0f

Hi,

We've got an older SummaCut plotter and a D60R, mostly for cutting sandblast resist. The older plotter, I believe, is more geared toward this purpose while D60R - as I understand - is not the best. But it's been a serviceable setup for a while now. However recently the D60R has had problems such as the picture I've included:

IMG_20210516_095751.jpg

It doesn't completely cut the outer stroke of the numeral 9 I haven't weeded out. Interestingly the other 9 to the right was cut a little better; the problematic nine is more toward the middle of the 50 cm wide resist spool. I'm not an expert with these so I'm wondering if this is a worn knife or what might be the issue. While the plotter has had its problems it did not do this before.

Thanks

YSP Mario

Hi,
I think everything is OK with Summa, you need to check knife holder and clean it.
And hope you know that for thick sandblasting films you need to buy special 55 degree knife with 0,5 offset (Summa part number 391-358).
You can see on corners is not good rotation of knife and same curve has different cut (no. 9) so something is about knife.
Mario

0x0f

Ever replaced the cutting strip?

I'm assuming you mean the brown strip the cutting head travels across. It's not been replaced I don't think. Do you have a part number for it? Couldn't find it online.

Hi,
I think everything is OK with Summa, you need to check knife holder and clean it.
And hope you know that for thick sandblasting films you need to buy special 55 degree knife with 0,5 offset (Summa part number 391-358).
You can see on corners is not good rotation of knife and same curve has different cut (no. 9) so something is about knife.
Mario

Thanks, I ordered a new knife. I think we did use the specific sandblasting resist knife but may very well need changing.

YSP Mario

I'm assuming you mean the brown strip the cutting head travels across. It's not been replaced I don't think. Do you have a part number for it? Couldn't find it online.

Thanks, I ordered a new knife. I think we did use the specific sandblasting resist knife but may very well need changing.
Hi, Cutting strip part No. 391-386 check if is damaged on cutting line.
Before new knife installing check knife holder and spray it with WD40 but then clean it very well with compressed air to be sure is without grease and dust.
M

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good morning,

How thick is the sandblast stencil you are trying to cut? Most companies I work with that cut sandblast stencil use the more powerful tangential cutters which are designed to cut and track heavier/thicker materials. Also, as was previously mentioned, you will need to use the thick materials blade and thick materials blade holder(copper colored metal holder versus the black plastic standard blade holder). You can check and see how well the head is performing by loading standard vinyl in and running one of the internal tests, like the confidence cut for example. If the test cuts come out good on standard vinyl materials then it's likely an issue of using the wrong cutter model for the job and not an indication that the cutting strip will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you want to pick my brain on this process any further and I will do my best to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

0x0f

Hi, Cutting strip part No. 391-386 check if is damaged on cutting line.
Before new knife installing check knife holder and spray it with WD40 but then clean it very well with compressed air to be sure is without grease and dust.
M

Thanks, good point about cleaning the holder as well. There's a bunch of white residue on the strip from rubbing up against the sandblast stencil but I don't see any damage like cuts of crevices. It's a little rough to the touch though, I'm not sure if a new strip is supposed to be smooth when you run your finger over it?

Good morning,

How thick is the sandblast stencil you are trying to cut? Most companies I work with that cut sandblast stencil use the more powerful tangential cutters which are designed to cut and track heavier/thicker materials. Also, as was previously mentioned, you will need to use the thick materials blade and thick materials blade holder(copper colored metal holder versus the black plastic standard blade holder). You can check and see how well the head is performing by loading standard vinyl in and running one of the internal tests, like the confidence cut for example. If the test cuts come out good on standard vinyl materials then it's likely an issue of using the wrong cutter model for the job and not an indication that the cutting strip will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you want to pick my brain on this process any further and I will do my best to help.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

I believe it's 1 millimeter thick stencil. The cutter does have a copper colored knife holder (good point, I didn't know the holders differed as well!).

Not in front of the machine right now but I did run a bunch of offset tests when I tried messing with that to see if it might help. The offset tests did come out perfect.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Thanks, good point about cleaning the holder as well. There's a bunch of white residue on the strip from rubbing up against the sandblast stencil but I don't see any damage like cuts of crevices. It's a little rough to the touch though, I'm not sure if a new strip is supposed to be smooth when you run your finger over it?

I believe it's 1 millimeter thick stencil. The cutter does have a copper colored knife holder (good point, I didn't know the holders differed as well!).

Not in front of the machine right now but I did run a bunch of offset tests when I tried messing with that to see if it might help. The offset tests did come out perfect.

Thanks for the reply and additional info. If your material is indeed 1mm thick, that would be just under 40 mil thick and the D60 is only capable of cutting materials up to 30 mil, even with the thick materials blade. I think this is one of those situations where you're trying to do something that isn't intended for the tool you are using and it could end up being a frustrating process trying to get this to work, at least with any level of consistency.

When you run the tests I mentioned above(confidence cut, DIN test, etc.) make sure that you are using vinyl for those. If the cuts come out perfect on vinyl then you can be confident the cutter is working correctly and the bad cuts are more of a function of the material being too thick for what your cutter is intended to cut.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com