• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

summa f1612 update issues? Or just bad luck?

jamesartdept

Hi there, figured Id ask if anyone else had this issue, did the update yesterday as well as updating the axis control and everything seemed fine, but the e-stop was trip by accident, it gave the notification that it had been tripped. So we reset the machine and now it wont connect at all. looks like the mother board lights up for a minute and stops. even connects to the computer for a second as well.
I was told to take out all the plugs on the main board then try it to see if something was stopping it from connecting but did the same thing.
Has anyone had the same issue or some way to see why the main board isn't powering up? it has the proper voltage from the power supplies.
Also any suggestions on where to get a new board? bad time financially for it to go unfortunately.

CanuckSigns

Was the estop pressed during the firmware update? If so that could cause a big issue like you described, if not contact summa about downgrading your firmware, it's not the first time they released a buggy firmware before testing it, we got one where our router wouldn't recognize, the firmware wasn't sending the correct voltage to the router, the machine was down for almost a week while they figured that one out.

jamesartdept

well it updated properly and was running fine for most of the night, it was after the estop was pressed and it restarted then it just wouldn't connect anymore, but when the firmware was updated it restarted just fine.
Id like to downgrade but the problem is it wont stay on to connect to the computer to add the firmware.

Technician

Drive it hard
well it updated properly and was running fine for most of the night, it was after the estop was pressed and it restarted then it just wouldn't connect anymore, but when the firmware was updated it restarted just fine.
Id like to downgrade but the problem is it wont stay on to connect to the computer to add the firmware.
Your firmware is not your problem. You said everything worked for a while after update. And you said you have all power. Did you check on the board? Dose the motherboard light up and usb blinking at all?
Have you trying a other computer?
Can you make a little start up sequence video? And showing electrical box

jamesartdept

Here' is a video of the main board with a small start up sequence. It will connect for just a second, The usb and emergency stop light on summa axis control will turn green and then disconnect. If I'm fast enough I can click reboot and it just reboots. I was told by summa to remove all plugs and start up to see what errors I get, but still did the same thing. Tried different computers. Different cords. And plug directly into computer, not through the hub.

Attachments

• Files.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 157

Technician

Drive it hard
When all connectors on mainboard are disconnected except J3 =24v in and you have 24v in on J3. Than check JP2 and JP3, you should measure 3.3v on JP2 and 3.3v on JP3 when those are not available it’s impossible for the mainboard to boot up. mainboard is broken. Make sure to measure between soldering bridge and chassis. When the board boot up, than connect the usb cables directly to the computer ( with out usb hub between) check if you have communication( check windows device manager- check axis control m: it should display machine initializing.
Then step by step reconnect the connectors and try to find out what parts cause the failure. Last connect the carraiage board data cables (J13 and J14)
Be careful when measuring on the board so not making spark’s

netsol

VERY GOOD step by step...

1st, he should buy a wrist strap, to avoid static damage

ARE YOU SURE he didn't crash the firmware update process before it completed? maybe it's not telling switched voltages "power good" so they don't switch on?

my first thought was that we might need to replace the chip the firmware is written to, to salvage
the mainboard (I AM NOT A SUMMA EXPERT, by any means)

when i troubleshoot something like this, we need to remember the "trigger event" (the thing that started the failure

james, it sounds like TECHNICIAN has much more summa experience than i do, just want to try to help