• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa GoSign - dropping lower case "i" in designs

Gilly

Greetings all,
I think i've run into this problem once before in another shop and cant remember the solution. I know it's a summa thing hopefully someone out there is better versed than I.

On most designs regardless of font lower case "i" characters seem to not register. Our current work around has been to redraw the shape, or releasing the compound paths work as well.
It doesn't seem to matter if the design is saved as live type or converted to outlines the same issue seems to persist.

Anyone know the proper solution?

Oddly I don't seem to find any one else discussing this when I queried in my network though I come from mostly roland production world and light use and cross communications in onyx and summa, having to dust off the cobwebs from production management in the past for these new to me machines.

Much appreciated!

-Gilly

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Whenever I have strange cutting results, I make sure the cutpath is a completely vector outline. Not just outlining the text - which you should always do, but in Illustrator, go to the path menu and select "outline" to make sure all of the cutlines are outlined.

Gilly

Whenever I have strange cutting results, I make sure the cutpath is a completely vector outline. Not just outlining the text - which you should always do, but in Illustrator, go to the path menu and select "outline" to make sure all of the cutlines are outlined.
Thanks I have tried that step but didn't work. We are also selecting for software to pickup on all forms of cutpaths in the options menu for that. Again i've got the hack work around that works for our process so the ship isn't sinking here. My issue is that this should be a simple as a one click on my designers side in saving the file for production or something in my settings/configuration of gosign that is just wrong ?!?

Is GoSign that weak of a program that simple text is an issue for is to accept standard files form illustrator with live type to cut onto white vinyl that you need to re-invent wheels to save or import files ?
This seems like it can't be the answer. I know I've been out of the summa world for a bit but I can't imagine hacking files or adding steps is correct for daily operations.

Thanks,
Gilly

Boudica

Saying GoSign is a weak program is a fair statement. I could say worse, but we have to use it for somethings, like just cut vinyl, and print/cut from our flatbed printer, generated through asanti. Others wise I use Onyx cutserver for the roll to roll print/cut jobs.
At home I have VinylMaster, and I really like it. but that's just for the plotter - I don't have a printer at home.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I haven't seen that yet in any of our installs. Are you on the latest version of GoSign? How are you saving the files and how are you opening them in GoSign? Are you using the Illustrator plugin or just saving pdf files and manually opening them in GoSign? Does the i show up in GoSign and just not cut or are they not showing up in the preview either?

danno

When I save for GoSign, I ungroup everything and release all compound paths. I also send a separate cut file from the print file.

Gilly

When I save for GoSign, I ungroup everything and release all compound paths. I also send a separate cut file from the print file.
We are currently doing the same, however I feel like this is just so unnecessary in process' and not the right solution.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We are currently doing the same, however I feel like this is just so unnecessary in process' and not the right solution.
We just got ours cutting but that is they way we have had to do it as well. Design in Corel, set the reg marks, send the print file out, ungroup everything, copy and paste the cut contour to the top, keep those and the reg marks and delete the rest. If we send any part of the file besides the reg and cut contour marks it goes haywire. I think the fix is to upgrade to Onyx, that's where they get you.

Gilly

I haven't seen that yet in any of our installs. Are you on the latest version of GoSign? How are you saving the files and how are you opening them in GoSign? Are you using the Illustrator plugin or just saving pdf files and manually opening them in GoSign? Does the i show up in GoSign and just not cut or are they not showing up in the preview either?

Not using Gosign plugin, saving files as a pdf, standard press presets, opening them after saving in our production room on gosign. Our designer had tried the GoSign plugin and had even more issues than results. the "i" is completely missing from files. It's very peculiar and stange being linked to just the lower case "i". I has to be something in it's processing of linked attributes like to compounded shapes that don't intersect (i.e. why i's and not o's)

Boudica

Why any shape, if you are truly making an outline for the cutpath. Not sure we are getting the whole story. It shouldn't even be "text" when it gets to GoSign, it should just be a shape. I've never heard of GoSign discriminating against a simple shape.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If I understand this, what you are describing is.... if you type in the word 'Wing', your plotter will not cut the 'i' at all regardless of the type style you choose ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, why not create several NEW files, saving them all under a different format, different type styles and send them various ways ?? This sounds more like some glitch in your software and it's not responding correctly. I'd sooner think rather than a workaround, a complete removal of one program at a time and re-installing them is necessary. Somewhere along the way, something is not seeing something else properly.

You have top notch professionals saying they never heard of it and many members, but you think you can make a shortcut or workaround ??

CC-CMYK

I have exactly the same problem with GoSign! I gave up trying to figure out the best way to fix this. We use Flexi for most of our cut text. We’ll use GoSign for print and cuts and stickers.