• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa Install

designtcd

Hello, yesterday a friend gave me his cutter to use, it is a Summa D120SE older model, can you help me how to install it on windows 10 and ride with it, what I need most is for cutting on the line, to print on HP and on to him to cut, can you help me

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

The first step in the process would be to confirm communication between the cutter and your computer. You will want to install the USB driver for this model and you can download that here - https://www.airmark.com/pages/summasign-pro-vinyl-cutter-downloads. On that same downloads page you can download the Summa Cutter Tools which include the Summa Cutter Control program and you will use that program to confirm communication.

After you have confirmed that the cutter is communicating with your computer the next step would be to install a cutting program that is compatible with that model and Winplot is going to be your best bet for that. You can get Winplot on the same link above. Once you install Winplot you will need to setup your cutter when you are prompted to do so the first time you load the program. Make sure to double check your port selection in Winplot to match the port that it is actually connected to, which is usually USB1 if you have the cutter connected via USB.

Once the Winplot configuration is done you need to get the plug-in installed for Corel or Illustrator so you can apply registration marks to your file before you print. The plug-in is included with the same Summa Cutter Tools as Cutter Control and that will install at the same time. In Corel the plug-in will show up as a small toolbar and you just need to embed it in one of the open areas at the top of the screen and the next time you launch Corel the toolbar will be there. In Illustrator the plug-in is installed under the file menu under the name "Summa" and then "add OPOS XY reg marks". After the marks are applied and you have printed the job you just need to load the print on the Summa and then send the contour file to the cutter using Winplot and the "send to OPOS cutter" option under the output menu. The cutter will then prompt you to move the tool over the first marker, which is the marker in the lower right hand side if you are viewing the cutter from the front, and then hit apply. After you hit apply the cutter will begin detecting the various registration marks and start contour cutting right after that.

I hope this helps and if you need additional support you might consider getting one of our tech plans so that you can call our tech team if you need to do anymore in depth troubleshooting or advanced training.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

designtcd

Thank you very much, but now I have a problem with the connection, after I installed everything you listed, here is what it looks like when I go into Summa Cutter Control and connect the cutter to the computer and I get this notification from Windows https://ibb.co/vm3J1Lt

designtcd

Screenshot_2.png

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
You will first want to use the older version of Cutter Control that is compatible with your Summa cutter model. Version 4.20.0.0 is the version you need. I would go into your device manager and confirm that the USB driver installed correctly(it will be listed under the universal serial bus controller section) and then test communication again in Cutter Control. Keep in mind that if you are using a serial to USB adapter to connect the cutter to the computer that you will need to have the driver for the adapter(usually comes on a disc with the adapter) for everything to work correctly.

If you strike out after trying those options then you may need to do some more in depth troubleshooting and I would consider getting one our tech plans so you can hop on a call with our techs and do a deeper dive to figure out the problem.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com