• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa mark Size, reading difficult media

Goatshaver

I've been banging my head about this the past couple days. I've got a red glitter vinyl I'm printing on (no white), which is fine it's what the customer has liked. However the problem is when I got to cut this stuff...it cannot read the OPOS marks, I've tried media calibration and it didn't say it failed, but when I try to cut the sheet it cannot see the marks. I've made the marks a little bigger to see if that helped and it did not, I've tried putting masking tape over the mark and cut out the square and it still cannot read it.

I cannot be the only one that has attempted trying this. Sad part is I just tried a print of the same thing on my SP-540V and it read the marks without any issues and cut. So why can the summa not find the marks?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Different kind of reader on the summa and Roland. When you do media calibration you should see the values the sensor is reading and if they are too close it can not read the material.

Print some of those squares on white vinyl and cut it out with white around then place it on top of the glitter marks?

You can also use manual XY alignment without opos.

Goatshaver

Different kind of reader on the summa and Roland. When you do media calibration you should see the values the sensor is reading and if they are too close it can not read the material.

Print some of those squares on white vinyl and cut it out with white around then place it on top of the glitter marks?

You can also use manual XY alignment without opos.

How do I do manual XY? I never got any training on this sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Goatshaver

I can't find any info that gives me instructions on how manual XY works. The manual just tells you what they do but not any more detail. I wish I had gotten training on this thing...I've had to reprint and cut this entire job on my SP-540V and cut it on that machine.
Everytime I tried the XY alignment it would ask me for the Origin Point.....well what is the origin on my sheet? is the the first mark, edge of the sheet....and for some reason it puts the knife down after I register the first point and cuts across the sheet then asks to register another point. Then is proceeds to cut...sometimes and oval or maybe a circle....I just need more info and I can't seem to find anything online to help me.

I'm sure it's pretty simple if I knew exactly what steps to take but I don't know. Sorry I'm quite upset with this as I've thrown away a lot of good material trying to get this to work. I'm just pulling my hair out at this point and not even sure if it's possible to cut this with the summa. Had I known this I would've just spent the extra few grand to get an OPOS Cam model.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I'm not sure if this particular material will perform the same as working with reflective vinyl, but you might try using one of the yellow OPOS filters to see if the sensor can detect the marks. I have attached a document which explains the process of using the filters. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to pick my brain on this process.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Attachments

• OPOS Filter for Reflective.pdf
    794.1 KB · Views: 389

Goatshaver

Good afternoon,

I'm not sure if this particular material will perform the same as working with reflective vinyl, but you might try using one of the yellow OPOS filters to see if the sensor can detect the marks. I have attached a document which explains the process of using the filters. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to pick my brain on this process.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Thanks Phil.
Actually spoke with someone from Summa and they told me about the filter thing, thanks for the documentation!
On my reflective stuff I just put some tape over the marks and cut out the black area and it's worked great, but not on this red glitter material. I shall try the filter next to see if that will help any.

denis467

The yellow filter over the OPOS sensor worked well on chrome material and saved me a bundle of time taping over the registration marks.

I have the same problem but with phototex

Where did you get that filter?

are there any other types of filters?

or yellow only for reflective materials?

Goatshaver

I have the same problem but with phototex

Where did you get that filter?

are there any other types of filters?

or yellow only for reflective materials?

It was just printing the yellow color on some clear vinyl and cutting them to the shape to fit the OPOS sensor. PDF explaining attached.

Attachments

• OPOS Filter for Reflective.pdf
    794.1 KB · Views: 183

denis467

It was just printing the yellow color on some clear vinyl and cutting them to the shape to fit the OPOS sensor. PDF explaining attached.
Thank you for your reply
It looks like it works for reflective vinyl only
Do you know if there is something like that for regular material?
mine is phototex that is slightly textured and has a matte finish...
I'm shocked that it cant read marks on that regular material... because it looks like regular material with regular finish... and there is nothing nothing wrong with that material....
Although, it is not first problem with summa cutter and I really regret that didnt purchase graphtec....:(

Goatshaver

Thank you for your reply
It looks like it works for reflective vinyl only
Do you know if there is something like that for regular material?
mine is phototex that is slightly textured and has a matte finish...
I'm shocked that it cant read marks on that regular material... because it looks like regular material with regular finish... and there is nothing nothing wrong with that material....
Although, it is not first problem with summa cutter and I really regret that didnt purchase graphtec....:(

It shouldn't have any issues with regular material. Have you tried a Media Calibration? Print a 2cm black square on the material you want to use, with laminate if that's how it would be cut, and do a media calibration on your Summa and it will adjust the OPOS sensor which should help. I've never had an issue with it reading regular material.

denis467

It shouldn't have any issues with regular material. Have you tried a Media Calibration? Print a 2cm black square on the material you want to use, with laminate if that's how it would be cut, and do a media calibration on your Summa and it will adjust the OPOS sensor which should help. I've never had an issue with it reading regular material.
Yes, I did all calibrations many times and I dont understand why it doesnt see regmarks
Probably it's because of the texture of phototex... but as I know rolands and graphtecs have no problems with reading marks and cutting that material...
I increased the size of marks (1.5 times) and it looks like it works sometimes that way, but now there is one more problem that that cutter needs distance between marks to be less than 1300mm and onyx prints only 2 marks on the corners on x axis when I print on 60inch media and when I'm trying to cut my prints on summa I need to turn it 90 degress ( because my cutter is 54") and x axise becomes y axis and there is not enough marks on that side to cut those prints on summa
I was told by onyx support that that problem is for summa cutters...other brands have no problems like that and have no limits on a distances between marks...

may be my cutter is defective , since it's freezing all the time
and even already main board was replaced (with old, used and all in scratches part that airmark provided, but was claimed that it was brand new), because it's just stopped working one day about 4-5 months after purchase...
So, you're lucky that you didnt have any problems with yours cutter
I wish I would be so lucky too
Maybe I just needed to purchase it from different company, so it would be better quality and less headache

Last edited: