• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa or Graphtec

Rookie

We're a hand-painted boutique sign company looking to add vinyl-lettering capabilities. We've narrowed our plotter choices to the Graphtec CE 5000 and Summa D75. The Summa is about $900 more ($1595 vs. $2495). From what we've read, it sounds like the Graphtec should work well. Thoughts on either of these or which we should choose? Also, we're leaning toward Corel software. Thoughts?

Pat Whatley

Never used a Graphtec so I can't speak for it but I will tell you about my Summa experience. 100% POSITVE. Tech support (the two times I needed it because I screwed something up) answered immediately and actually knew the machine inside and out. They walked me through resetting the machine and correcting my problems in minutes. The other time I had to call we had a power supply go bad on a 10 year old machine. Tech support again walked us through taking me machine apart and testing the power supply, checking the fuses, and checking the switch before making the diagnosis. Our other two plotter companies would have just told us to send it in for service. Summa did what they could to get us back up and running as soon as possible.

Quality-wise the things have been virtually bulletproof. They've been beaten and abused and still just keep on cranking out work.

Our oldest one has been used every day for 10 years as our primary vinyl cutting machine. There's no telling how many thousands (yes, thousands) of rolls of vinyl have been run through it. It's just now developing a slight tracking issue, more than likely it's because of worn pinch rollers. We're going to send it in for maintenance and have the belts and rollers replaced....then I fully believe it will be here after I'm gone.

TresL

I've had several Graphtecs(3000, 5000 & 7000 series) and now own a Summa 75T.

Hands down the Summa is the best cutter I've ever used.

However, I do like Cut Master batter than the Summa plugin.

Summa support is also MUCH better.
Graphhtec, you fell lucky to get a call back a day or 2 later, if you ever do.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Summa Info

Just sent you a PM with additional information. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Never used a Graphtec so I can't speak for it but I will tell you about my Summa experience. 100% POSITVE. Tech support (the two times I needed it because I screwed something up) answered immediately and actually knew the machine inside and out. They walked me through resetting the machine and correcting my problems in minutes. The other time I had to call we had a power supply go bad on a 10 year old machine. Tech support again walked us through taking me machine apart and testing the power supply, checking the fuses, and checking the switch before making the diagnosis. Our other two plotter companies would have just told us to send it in for service. Summa did what they could to get us back up and running as soon as possible.

Quality-wise the things have been virtually bulletproof. They've been beaten and abused and still just keep on cranking out work.

+1 ...

years ago, I was in charge of purchasing a plotter for the company that I worked for, a large production company.

I looked at all of them, Graphtec, Ioline, Roland, etc... Some of these companies even brought in a machine to show off to us. I narrowed it down between Graphtec and Summa. I decided on the Summa, and it was the best investment that company could have made.

I have since gone out on my own, and when I was ready to purchase a plotter, I just called Summa. There was no question in my mind who I would purchase from.

A well built machine, and like Pat said, when you need customer support, they are only a phone call away. I have never had a call go unanwered. Heck, I have never had a tech support call go to the next day. Its always same day service.

Blaney

I own a Graphtec CE 5000 - love it. If / when the times comes to replace it, I will get another one. I've never used a Summa, but I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

Letterbox Mike

I've had three graphtecs and 3 Summas. The reason I had 3 Graphtecs is because I sent one after another back, I'd had Summas before, thought I'd try something else since I'd heard good things about them, but tried three different ones and they were not up to the task, went back to Summa and have zero complaints. They're excellent machines that are very up to any production you throw at them, and the company really stands behind their products, the few times I've had to contact them for support, they've bent over backwards to make we're taken care of.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I have a CE5000-60 and had the chance to see a Summa first hand at a sign show last year. The build quality seems much better with the Summa. Our next plotter will be a Summa.

royster13

Check out the Summa store....Sometimes there are some great deals on open box stuff....

My friend has a 30" Summa and loves it....Not sure what model it is....She upgraded from a very old 15" Gerber I think....