• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 Issues

airborneassault

Good morning! I'm trying to connect our new to us S2 OposCam model via USB and running in to issues. I downloaded Summa Cutter Control 5.1 and it recognizes the cutter but then I receive the error "List Index out of bounds (-1)". I've uninstalled everything and re-installed and still no luck. Can anyone shed any light on this? I can connect via ethernet but I'm unable to run the camera module at that point for contour cutting.

Thanks in advance!
-Nathan

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Nathan,

What cutting software are you using to send the files to the cutter? If there is communication through Camera Control then this likely isn't a driver related issue and you probably need to configure the correct port in your cutting program. Also, you need to run Camera Control in the background when sending files to the cutter so if you're only using that to test the communication and not when sending the files over that could be contributing to the problem as well. Let me know what cutting program you are using and I can offer up some more tips to hopefully get things working correctly.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

airborneassault

Hi Phil! I am using Onyx CutServer. The strange part is cutserver and the cutter act as though it is sent but the on screen prompt from the cutter says waiting for "Waiting for Camera Control".

This happens even with camera control open which I understand was only needed for legacy model cam cutters but it also happens with Summa Cutter Control open which I understood needed to be open for the camera control with the newer S2 cutters. There seems to be a disconnect between Summa Cutter control and the cutter itself, Onyx seems to recognize the cutter no problem.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Dumb question...

Do you have camera control installed? If so uninstall it.

Also, you do have the USB cable plugged in right? If not, the cutter requires the USB to drive the camera.

airborneassault

No dumb questions....initially I did have it installed but I uninstalled all my Summa components and re-installed.

I have tried a bunch of different configurations USB & Ethernet both, USB only, different USB cords. Initially I had a long USB cable so I figured that was the culprit but I have a 3' cord plugged in now. This may sound dumb but does it require a special USB cable other than the typical USB-A to USB-B? The oddest part is all the communication is there. The cutter sees the computer and vice-versa. I should note it only causes havoc when trying to print and cut, I can cut out of GoSign cut only projects with no problems.

For grins I connected via my mac running Parallels and had zero issues with the Summa software now Onyx was a whole other can of worms so I wasn't able to actually try to initialize the camera but I'm confident it would have worked.

There's something quirky about this specific PC and I cannot narrow it down. I deleted all the temporary files I was able to on the PC, uninstalled Mcaffee that came with that PC and turned off all the built in windows firewalls but I still get that weird "List Index out of bounds (-1)" message when I open Summa Cutter Control. When first booted up Summa Cutter Control sees the cutter, shows me the serial number and device info such as pressure, velocity, etc in the top 2 info panels of Summa Cutter Control as well as a green light for USB and then I receive that index error and it seems to lose all communication within Cutter Control. Cutter control basically stalls out and leaves me the "Please Wait" message in the main window of Cutter Control.

natallica

Graphics Guru
I don't know if it applies in your particular situation or not, but I've found that if Flexi's Production Manager (or any program capable of communicating with the cutter) causes these types of errors for me. As soon as I close Flexi PM, Cutter Control works flawlessly.

Also changing Windows Power Management for USB root hub keeps USB from losing connection. It keeps the USB controller from going to 'sleep', allowing it to stay connected.

Just my .02
- N8

Indecisive

No dumb questions....initially I did have it installed but I uninstalled all my Summa components and re-installed.

I have tried a bunch of different configurations USB & Ethernet both, USB only, different USB cords. Initially I had a long USB cable so I figured that was the culprit but I have a 3' cord plugged in now. This may sound dumb but does it require a special USB cable other than the typical USB-A to USB-B? The oddest part is all the communication is there. The cutter sees the computer and vice-versa. I should note it only causes havoc when trying to print and cut, I can cut out of GoSign cut only projects with no problems.

For grins I connected via my mac running Parallels and had zero issues with the Summa software now Onyx was a whole other can of worms so I wasn't able to actually try to initialize the camera but I'm confident it would have worked.

There's something quirky about this specific PC and I cannot narrow it down. I deleted all the temporary files I was able to on the PC, uninstalled Mcaffee that came with that PC and turned off all the built in windows firewalls but I still get that weird "List Index out of bounds (-1)" message when I open Summa Cutter Control. When first booted up Summa Cutter Control sees the cutter, shows me the serial number and device info such as pressure, velocity, etc in the top 2 info panels of Summa Cutter Control as well as a green light for USB and then I receive that index error and it seems to lose all communication within Cutter Control. Cutter control basically stalls out and leaves me the "Please Wait" message in the main window of Cutter Control.
We’re you able to get Onyx to work with your Summa? I’m dealing with the same thing. I can only print using the Gosign but get a “waiting for camera control” error when I try to print using the barcode from Oynx. About to send this thing back and just got it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We’re you able to get Onyx to work with your Summa? I’m dealing with the same thing. I can only print using the Gosign but get a “waiting for camera control” error when I try to print using the barcode from Oynx. About to send this thing back and just got it.
Are you sure you are doing it correctly? Explain your Onyx workflow in simple steps please.

I don't think Onyx should be making big difference because you need to forward the job to Cutter Control.
Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's required but anyway you can try that way. Then all the control should be out of Onyx.

Last edited:

FrankW

@ Indecisive:

If trying to send a cut file from Cutserver, with OPOS-CAM you have to start up Summa Cutter Control too because the driver of the camera is integrated in Summa Cutter Control (older S-Classes: camera control needs to be separately installed).

Indecisive

Are you sure you are doing it correctly? Explain your Onyx workflow in simple steps please.

I don't think Onyx should be making big difference because you need to forward the job to Cutter Control.
Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's required but anyway you can try that way. Then all the control should be out of Onyx.
I’ll have to get back with you on details because the tech rep was doing the set up when we ran into these issues. We should hear back from him on Monday. We initially had only the Ethernet cable connected and then tried using the usb but it didn’t change anything. I guess the older models required a usb when installing the drivers but not required on the newer ones, but we tried anyway just to isolate potential problems. We also installed both drivers. We printed 2 different designs, one with the Onyx bar code and the other with the Epson generated barcode and the cameras are not reading the barcode. The Summa display just says “waiting for camera control”. The thing is, I don’t recall the camera even trying to read the barcode. It seems like a drivers not installed or something but we did that. It worked fine when doing a cut only using the gosign software but when barcodes come into play it’s not working for some reason.
Once I get this figured out I’ll be up and running. Got the Epson S40600, Summa S2 T160 62 inch Cutter with OPOS Cam, and Seal laminator.
I contacted Summa about the problem and they told me to talk to who we bought it from because they’re certified. I didn’t expect Summa to brush me off. Lousy customer service when it comes to Summa.
Anyway, thanks for any help.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I’ll have to get back with you on details because the tech rep was doing the set up when we ran into these issues. We should hear back from him on Monday. We initially had only the Ethernet cable connected and then tried using the usb but it didn’t change anything. I guess the older models required a usb when installing the drivers but not required on the newer ones, but we tried anyway just to isolate potential problems. We also installed both drivers. We printed 2 different designs, one with the Onyx bar code and the other with the Epson generated barcode and the cameras are not reading the barcode. The Summa display just says “waiting for camera control”. The thing is, I don’t recall the camera even trying to read the barcode. It seems like a drivers not installed or something but we did that. It worked fine when doing a cut only using the gosign software but when barcodes come into play it’s not working for some reason.
Once I get this figured out I’ll be up and running. Got the Epson S40600, Summa S2 T160 62 inch Cutter with OPOS Cam, and Seal laminator.
I contacted Summa about the problem and they told me to talk to who we bought it from because they’re certified. I didn’t expect Summa to brush me off. Lousy customer service when it comes to Summa.
Anyway, thanks for any help.
So you get this error because you don't have Summa Cutter Control running, which is running the camera.
Also only USB works with the camera.

Indecisive

So you get this error because you don't have Summa Cutter Control running, which is running the camera.
I had a feeling it was something simple. I’ll give that a try and I really do appreciate the help! I’ll update you on the outcome, thanks.

Indecisive

I've made sure the SCC is running and the USB is connected. Still receiving the same "waiting for camera control" message. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Is your cutter powered on and on the home screen when you have SCC running? What version of SCC do you have installed and what Windows OS are you using?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
What version of SCC is installed? Do you have the Summa Cutters Tools and Summa Camera Control installed? For Windows 11, version 5.11 must be installed for things to work correctly.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

airborneassault

How long is your usb cable? Have you tried plugging it in to ethernet and usb simultaneously? Can you share a screenshot of SCC before you send a cut file?

Indecisive

I finally got it figured out. I just had to download the SCC again and use the Epson barcode instead of Summa’s. I really appreciate everyone’s help!