• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T 64" Vs Graphtec FC8600

dan1942

Ok I have been narrowing down all the new equipment I am trying to order by the end of the month. I was going to get the graphtec FC8600 64" cutter but I keep hearing how good the Summa S2 T series are. Are they really worth the difference in price? We keep our equipment for awhile I just want to make sure I am getting something that is going to last and not have any issues. We will be using the plotter for Print N Cut to go with a new HP L360 which will be run with onyx thrive 421. all this equipment will be new for us as we are making the jump from our older Roland.
Thanks!

nate

There is no contest-- the Summa with its Tangential setup is far superior to the Graphtec, but the question is do you need it? We have spent years cutting very tiny cuts in thick vinyls, and the T series was the only way to go. If you're looking to cut big things, normal sized text vinyl, pretty much what normal sign shops do, you'll be fine with the Graphtec.

I have two of the FC8600 units for sale. Less than 2 months old.

Browner

Apples to oranges.

You should be comparing the Summa S Class 2 D Series (S2 D160) to the Graphtec.

Maybe even the Summacut Series (D160)?

Either way, I'd go with the Summa.

Dennis422

I own FC8600-130 and I like it.
If you have extra money, go with Summa. Not that I do not like Graphtec, but Summa is the better machine as far what I have learned through my research last year.
I did not have money at that time and went with Graphtec. No regrets, but if I ever get bigger shop one day with a bigger budget, I will get a Summa.

AF

The Summa T series is a very substantial piece of equipment that makes all others look like flimsy toys. It's accuracy and material handling plus OPOS barcode are the best of the best. It costs more for a reason. They are made in Austria and use high-quality servo motors. All the parts are corrosion resistant. The touch screen is well thought out and the integration with the popular rips is superb. It just works without the fuss. Firmware updates get pushed out every few months and the support staff at Summa USA is exceptional.

LittleSnakey

Like the others have said summa all the way.

Biggest thing it has over the graphtec is the user interface, it is just easier to understand. The cutting force and speed are in real units not just a number. I bought the graphtec and could never get it to read the registration marks for print and cut, then got the summa so I have had both side by side and there is no comparison. There is a reason the summa costs more.

Also summa support is just plain awesome.
hope this helps
The Summa T series is a very substantial piece of equipment that makes all others look like flimsy toys. It's accuracy and material handling plus OPOS barcode are the best of the best. It costs more for a reason. They are made in Austria and use high-quality servo motors. All the parts are corrosion resistant. The touch screen is well thought out and the integration with the popular rips is superb. It just works without the fuss. Firmware updates get pushed out every few months and the support staff at Summa USA is exceptional.

Robert Gruner

Prior to the age of wide format digital printing, the Summa tangential knife cutters were the cats meow. In those days, folks cut a lot of vinyl to make banners etc. The advantage of the Summa T series was its ability to cut very small letters that were easy to weed.

Today, most cutters are used for cutting decals. The Graphtec trailing knife cutters perform equally well as Summa tangential knife cutters for most all applications. In addition, the Graphtec cutters are considerably less expensive that Summa T or D series cutters.

Summa cutters are built in Gistel, Belgium.

Good cutting

Bob Gruner
bob@nusignsupply.com

ProColorGraphics

Summa all the way!! ESPECIALLY when using a latex printer. I tried the Graphtec first with my HP Latex and it sucked! The T-Series in the Summa line is also WELL worth the extra money!!

I think what really threw me off about Graphtec was that when it wouldn't read the crop marks, their tech support told me to just put some scotch tape over the crop marks! That sounds like a lot of fun when you have a full roll of decals with (50) different sets of crop marks!

Plus with the Summa, you can print a bar across the front that the cutter will read to help compensate with the "bowing" the extra heat can cause.