• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T140 Feeding Rollers Malfunctioning

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
Hey guys,

I have had this summa plotter probably for less than a year. It has recently started acting up.

Whenever i put in a new roll, it goes through all of its starting motions but then it either tries to unwind the whole roll or it shoots it out the back. The rolls just keep on going until i switch off the plotter. i have to do this countless times for it to actually work just once.

Anybody have this problem? Can you fix it? Is the plotter trash now?

Thanks

Santimus

Ours does that with 3M Electrocut Black. We have to trip the sensor in the front with a scrap of white vinyl or paper to get it to stop. not sure if its the same problem you're having but this is or procedure: load vinyl, then as it rolls back we pass a piece of vinyl or paper to trip the sensor before it unwinds itself then remove it once it starts advancing the material and finally trip it a second time to get it to stop advancing. Then it rewinds to where ever it was fooled into thinking it sensed the material front edge. From there we use the touch screen to rewind until it is in proper position. I hop this helps! It does sound like you're having sensor issues like us.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hey guys,

I have had this summa plotter probably for less than a year. It has recently started acting up.

Whenever i put in a new roll, it goes through all of its starting motions but then it either tries to unwind the whole roll or it shoots it out the back. The rolls just keep on going until i switch off the plotter. i have to do this countless times for it to actually work just once.

Anybody have this problem? Can you fix it? Is the plotter trash now?

Thanks

Hello Renato,

All you need to do in this case is turn autoload off. The easiest way to do this would be to use Summa Cutter Control. Just launch the program and scroll down to autoload and turn that to off and hit apply. The next time you load the plotter it won't try to feed out the material to measure it, which is what the autoload feature does.

Feel free to email me at philj@airmark.com if you hit a snag and I can walk you through it.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation

FrankW

Could it be that some light sources irritating the media sensors? Had that some time. Have you moved the cutter to a different position?

There is no need to tape the sensors, it is possible to switch them off (S-Class both or the front sensor only) or to calibrate their sensitivity (refer to the manual, I currently haven‘t in mind were to find it in the menus). If you tape the sensors, they could get dirty, what could lead to malfunction.

Turning off Autoload is dangerous, because this functionality will avoid running into the whole roll weight during plotting, what could lead to inaccuracy or motor errors. Autoload will not feed rolls at startup only.