• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160 cut off sheet problems

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So after about 6 months of issues on our summa most of them appear to be fixed. There’s still one persistent error that fills me with rage.. engineer has seen it before but says the guy that fixed it has left the company and he can’t ask him - I am not keen on waiting for the engineer (as this call has been open ~6 months now) so I’ll ask all you knowledgeable folks!

Basically we use the sheet cut function, so after the summa has cut a sheet, it will read the next barcode then cut the completed sheet off. Straightforward enough.

We also use opos panelling (switching between 4 and 2 marks) as a lot of our runs are pretty long so this helps keep things accurate.

The error we are having is that if I load a single sheet, itll cut every *panel* up until the last set of marks BEFORE the end barcode, then cut the sheet right through the last set of marks as if it’s doing a cut off for a finished sheet. (Ruining the job).

The weirdest thing about the whole predicament is if I load a ROLL, it’ll go through the entire roll and only do this to the last sheet.

I know what you’re thinking, so just before anyone asks, if we turn the cut sheet function off, it basically just ends the job on the last two marks and doesn’t cut the rest of the job, so we need to roll it up, put it in the other way and then just cut the first panel. This way doesn’t ruin the job but still a PITA.

I’ve tried turning off autoload and the front/back media sensors, amongst other things to no avail. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before/how they fixed it? This thing has ruined a good few jobs now that are 20-25’ long.

Engineer has also changed pretty much every part on the summa, including main board, motors and screen.

Also we ruled out it being an onyx/software issue on our end as the engineer plugged in his laptop, got a print job out, put it in the cutter and it done the same thing (so assuming it’s not just our onyx being funky) as it bypassed our computer completely.

FrankW

What version of onyx do you use?

Sounds like your version of Onyx does not set a correct end of file command. Had that with older versions of Flexi sometimes.

Try to deactivate the cut off function if cutting a sheet. Try to set panelling to „off“ if cutting sheets. How much space is between the last row of markers and the back edge of the sheet?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Most up to date onyx, summa firmware up to date and already tried reinstalling onyx just in case.

As mentioned, same thing happened from engineers laptop with nothing going through our onyx at all.

About 400mm between markers and end barcode.

As i said, if I turn cut off function to “off” then it just cancels and doesn’t cut the last 400mm.

Turning panelling off isn’t really an option for some of these jobs - they’re about 20’!

Goatshaver

Is this sheet cut off function available on the D class as well? I've been trying to find out if it's possible to do and how to set it up.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Is this sheet cut off function available on the D class as well? I've been trying to find out if it's possible to do and how to set it up.
Yes it is. The cutter comes with a vinyl cutter that slides in the U-channel. So every time you want to cut off the sheet you slide it in there and sheet will fall down.

Joke aside, no D-series doesn't have a automatic sheet cutter.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify that the S2 D Series DOES have the automatic cut off knife just like the S2 T Series so you could use that feature on the S2 D Series if you wanted to. The new S One D Series model does not have the cutoff knife so if you're referring to that when you say D-Series, then yes, that model does not have the cutoff knife.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify that the S2 D Series DOES have the automatic cut off knife just like the S2 T Series so you could use that feature on the S2 D Series if you wanted to. The new S One D Series model does not have the cutoff knife so if you're referring to that when you say D-Series, then yes, that model does not have the cutoff knife.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com
Everyone calling them what they want but D series to me refers to the old Summacut "D160" for example. And you know most people have those and not s ones anyways.

Goatshaver

Hi All,

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com
Yes I should've clarified its the SummaCut D Series. Good to know that the others offer this though! Wish I would've know that before I bought this machine last year.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Everyone calling them what they want but D series to me refers to the old Summacut "D160" for example. And you know most people have those and not s ones anyways.
I'm not making any assumptions and am trying to provide information that is helpful to all users who may have the SummaCut machines or to those who are considering getting one of the S One and S2 models. The SummaCut Series is now discontinued anyways so information on those units will be irrelevant to customers considering a new Summa "D-Series" machine and that's why I included information on the currently available models.

I hope the information is helpful for others who are considering one of these machines and let me know if anyone else has questions on the differences in features and specs for the different models.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com