• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160, missing cutlines on longer prints

Patrik

Hello!
Got a problem with our Summa S2 T160 that has been ongoing for a long time and we cannot find any sollution for it. Feels even that it is getting worse.

We are printing with a Mutoh and Epson printer, use Onyx rip/cut software (different version through the years and no difference) and as soon as the lenght of the print exceeds over 180cm the problem occurs. The files contain a cutcontour and will completly be shown in Onyx Cutserver but when the cutter starts cutting, the last 1-5 cm on the bottom will not be cut! The longer the print, the longer the missing lines get.
The cutlines stretch from top to bottom but as soon as the last centimeters are too be cut the head lifts and jumps to the other side to continue cutting back to the top on the same closed curve.
Been in contact with Summa but they stopped responding.

I will attach an example image.

Attachments

• summa T160 S2 cutlines 20211006.png
    summa T160 S2 cutlines 20211006.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 252

gabagoo

Maybe try putting a cut border around the graphic, that way it will cut everything you want and screw up on the border...or just add a small cut to the far right after the portion you want to cut

Patrik

If I remember I will add an extra line 2-3cm from the border but that is just a work around the real problem. Last week when I printed a 5+ meter print and added 3cm too the end the cutter still left parts uncut. Seems like the longer the print, the more empty space have too be added.

jerry369

did you activate OPOS paneling on the jobs that give you that problem? if so, verify if the plotter uncovers the rear material sensor while loading the material to read the last marks

Patrik

No, haven't used OPOS paneling. The cutter just reads the marks on both sides and then starts cutting from top to bottom.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Strange. And you have material behind the job as well so it can't trigger the sensor by accident?

What if you add a little bit more bottom margin in Onyx cutter settings? Maybe that would solve it.

Have you done lenght calibration on the cutter? I'm not sure if it makes any difference with OPOS but just thinking here.

Of course updating the cutter firmware as well.

Patrik

Have previous tried adding more material behind and updating firmware without any success.
Me myself haven't done a lenght calibration, have to ask my boss if he has done before I started working here but don't think he has done anything after the shop installed the machine seven years ago.

Looking at the settings through Cutter control but cannot find any paramet for bottom margin?

Last week I printed and cut two of the same print, both where 188cm long and on the first one the Summa cut everything but on the second one it happened again, last centimeter of the border around was left uncut.

Patrik

haha sorry! Of course, Onyx not Cutter Control that is for Summa. :p
Thank you!

Edit: Added some extra space so lets hope that will do the trick. I will update this thread next time I printed and cutted a longer piece.

Last edited:

Patrik

Update:
It didn't work. Tried paneling too but no, problem still there. Though... I printed two of the same prints (mirrored prints for vehicle), both 254x114 cm and one of them acctually had cut all the way around. Don't know if it just was a lucky strike but the first one still had the last part uncut.