• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2T160 media feed issue

Hello all. Been using a near brand new Summa S2T160 to replace our old Graphtec cutter. Most often we use this machine to kiss cut stickers, decals and labels on 54" vinyl (usually laminated) and follow up with flexcutting so that panels of product can be broken down by hand. I've experienced a media feed issue however. I haven't been able to establish a coherent pattern to the problem but it does seem to happen more often with flexcutting and with heavier materials (vinyls with thick laminates, etc.). Most recently I've been having this issue with 3M IJ35C, laminated with 3M 8508.

The performance is inconsistent, sometimes it will run perfectly smoothly and every kiss and flexcut line will be right where it should be, other times it can be wildly off. It is usually just the flexcut that is off, though not quite 100% of the time. I've tried performing maintenance on the rollers, slowing the kiss and flexcut procedures (though I can't find a way to make the cutter roll more slowly when reading marks or moving between cuts, really makes me feel like I can't fully control this machine like I could the Graphtec so if there is a way to do that please tell me that too) and we've even installed a new media select kit from arimarks to help hold down the material more firmly but we continue to see the same issue and we're forced to waste time and money on reprints when product is ruined by the Summa flexcutting through it instead of between it. It seems as though the media slips at some point after the kisscutting and during the flexcut, sometimes on one side and sometimes on the other.

If anyone has any tips for fixing this issue I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Saturn

Aging Member
How large are the shapes you're FlexCutting?

Are you taking full advantage of the "tabs" in FlexCut?

Dialing in flexcutting, or all-the-way-through contour/die cuts can be really tricky—and doing shapes larger than 40-50 square inches is going to be exponentially tougher than something like 9 sq in.

Unless your product requires it, sometimes using 30" inch wide material will solve enough headaches to offset the small savings you'd see running wider rolls.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can lower the g-force for the acceleration of movements in Cutter Control. It's not available on the cutter display.
It will slow waaaay down when you take it out of AUTO.

jerry369