• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa T750

advsign22

I purchased a used Summa T750 cutter and everything works fine except on about 40% of the time when I send a cut job to the plotter, the first cut (shape or letter) does not get cut. Example like one side of a O or T and etc gets mostly skipped by the blade. Has anone else had this problem?

Also Summa offers free tech support but is that only for the orginal owner?

Thanks,
Ken

advsign22

No I did not get it fixed. I did call Summa and they said to try a new $1000 head unit.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ken

Colin

I'll assume that your "T" model is the same in this respect to my "D" model.

There is a plastic cover over the cutting head (affixed by 2 small phillips screws). Remove this cover, then you may find a very small (1/8" diameter) black rubber pad that a vertical adjustment screw bottoms out on. The adjustment screw over time makes a little indent in this pad and it can kinda stick there. If you very carefully remove this pad (it is glued down) and relocate it slightly so that the screw now comes down on a fresh part of the pad, you may find that this solves the problem.

Let me know....

Woo hoo......my first post with my new computer!

jbennett

I had this happen for a while with my D750 and I called Summa. They directed me exactly as Colin said in his post. The "solenoid cushion" (part # HR29-134) had a hole almost all the way through it. After turning it over and re-gluing it with the other side up, my cutter cuts much better than it has in a LOOONG time. I did order the correct replacement today and the $8.00 small rubber pad is on the way :biggrin:

jbennett

fatpinfield

Colin got right on. Had similar problem on the D620, along with some nippling. Replaced that little pad and all problems went away. I love that Summa.

Small Lettering

SmallLettering.com
I had this "leaving a gap" problem a few years back with my D750 & had to ship the entire cutter (less stand) to Seattle for repair. While it was there I had the unit converted to a T750. The tangential head has been great (able to cut down to a 1/4" font height) but now that blasted gap problem is back again. It ALWAYS leaves a gap at the beginning of the cut. I've worked around this by inserting a registration mark at the lower left which would be the first cut. But now it will also leave a gap- sometimes quite large in the middle of the job requiring recutting that letter. Aggravating!
The rubber cushion sounds like it is indeed the culprit. When I push down on the head (power off) when the cutter has been sitting, I feel a slight resistance- as though it's slightly stuck. Once I do that, the head will go up & down freely (manually). I've tried doing this right before I cut a job but it still leaves the gap. Does anyone know where this rubber cushion is located on the T750? I've looked & I can't spot it.

Tom

jbennett

The pad is called a solenoid cushion. It is easy to change, and it fixed my problem. I do wish that mine had a tangential head, but it does mainly what I need it to. If you call Summa support and tell them that you need a solenoid cushion, they will hook you up. The shipping is a lot more than the part :tongue: I'm not familiar with the T750 head, but Summa support will be able to tell you right away. It is under the plastic head cover on my d750.

jbennett

Colin

First, you must remove the plastic cover as shown in "Pad 1".

You can then see it........as shown in "Pad 2". It's a good idea to replace it every year or two, so get a few of 'em.

Attachments

• Pad 1.JPG
    Pad 1.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 451
  • Pad 2.JPG
    Pad 2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 496

Small Lettering

SmallLettering.com
T750 head vs the D750 head

My T750 head looks quite different than the D750. One big difference is that the normal position of the T750 head is up where the normal position of the D750 head is down. I've attached are a couple of pics.

Thanks gang.

Tom

Colin

Yes, that T-head sure is different. In it, there appears to be a cylindrical copper winding with a cover that moves up & down. I wonder if there's a piece of dust or debris in there causing it to stick?

Mac34

Before buying any parts, isn't it still under warrantee? If I'm not mistaken, mine came with one for 3yrs.? (T-Series / 30"). I've only had one small issue with the cutter, and when I called tech support, they said to bring it right down THAT DAY! It took me about an hour to get there, but the problem was fixed, back on the road I went, and I was back to work that afternoon! Before buying the Summa, I was torn between two different brands, and from some negative feedback I heard about Summa's tech support, I went with the "other" brand. I hated the thing from day one, and ended up trading it in towards my Summa. I understand that many have different experiences and opinions towards different companies, but just wanted to go on the record as saying my experience with Summa has been absolutely great! They'll get my next cutter purchase for sure! (Sorry to go off on a tangent, but just wanted to remind you that you may have a warrantee, and they seem to be very good about staying true to their word). Good luck!

signboy52

I've got the T750 and have the exat same issues with it skipping the first cuts of the job. What's the solution for this plotter? I can't see or find the solenoid pad.

Colin

Please read the thread. The "T" model is different and apparently doesn't have the rubber pad. Have you tried contacting Summa?

bmxovich

Give Summa a call. I just picked up a used T750 two months ago and they have been VERY helpfull with any questions I've had...

ColesCreations

Not sure if this is your problem, but we've had some problems with things getting cut off when close to the edge in winplot, the document size "shrinks" to biggest design.
I added a bigger rectangle around everything, sent to winplot, and deleted the rectangle.
If this does not help, it may be cheaper than a new head, to put a letter or something for the cutter to start on...
Ours is a T-140 with OPOS, great machine!

Alan_F

I have just aquired T1400 pro, and i wont call summa cutters as i love them my previous one was a D60 and yes i had a replacement head once because of the sticking head syndrome, (wish i had used the pad trick) but now with the same thing happening to the tangential cutter i am trying to solve this as i aint paying £900 for a head fitted.

I bought the machine for £450 thinking it needed a new head and thought i would take a risk, i competely stripped the machine as it had been stood in a bodyshop for 2 and a half years, including removing the head.

Now when you remove the head on these machines, you must mark the height on the carriage, and put the head back in the same position theres just 3 screws holding it to the carriage plate, which dont have to be removed fully just slackened off, you must remove the circuit board and disconnect the drive motor wires from the circuit board, a good tip here is if you do remove the belt to the coil then make sure you mark up the blade holder and wheel on the motor as when its sets itself to zero, to start a cut you must make sure that the blade is in line.

I am going to remove the head on mine and turn it upside down and give it a good spray with (Ipa) Alcohol, and let it run down the inside of the cast iron drum leave it for ten minutes whilst working the head up and down and then turn it back over to let the ipa drain out and dry. This should get rid of the sticky lip, of which i am told happens to lots of solenoids, not only in cutters, also be careful of using oil like wd40 or 3 in 1 as dependant on the consistency it can work like a seal and create a vacuum when the coils going up and down and can actually make the sticking problem worse.

Also dont forget on these summa tangential cutters, the blade on the T knife doesnt go all the way in and tighten up to hilt, for a normal T knife when new set your pressure to around 70g, then slowly wind your knife in quarter turn at a time till you get a clean cut, without going through the backing, if you are having the starting problem then wind your pressure up to say 140g, and set your knife blade again it should cut fine at the start, till you can get chance to take a look at it.

I'll let you know how i get on

Alan

Alan_F

I think i may have found the cushion on the T head,
behind the head coil there is a pin that runs up and down in a plastic sleeve that acts like an end stop, to stop the coil bottoming out when i get chance i will have a look to see if its worn an dpac k it out a little, to see if it fixes it.
Alan