• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa USB port Issue

Maxphobia

We have two of the same Summa cutters. We recently updated from Onyx 10 to Onyx 19, from which we use the CutSever in Onyx to cut printed jobs. We also use Summa WinPlot to cut Non-printed Vinyl like Colored Shinerite.

The issue is the USB port name is the same on both cutters, so when we plug them both in the same computer it always sends the file to lets call it Summa1 making Summa2 redundant. We've tried to go in using Onyx's cutter manger program and change the port the program uses manually, as it gives us the option of using USB1, USB2, USB3, and USB4. so we set Summa1 to USB1 and Summa2 to USB2, and try to cut on Summa2, which works. Then we try cutting on Summa1 and it works. So we thought we had it figured out. So, we went back and tried to cut on Summa2 and it sent the cut to Summa1.

So basically my question is has anyone else had this problem or does anyone else have an idea on how to fix this issue.

Last edited:

netsol

it's funny, i wouldn't think this would happen so often

a couple options, i think

buy a $45 startech usb print server for one or both of the cutters, windows identifies devices by reporting name, port and hardware id

for whatever reason, your software is ignoring hardware id

option 2 is install a usb port card (should be good enough to eliminate the confusion

if you are adventurous and don't care to buy any hardware, upgrade or downgrade the firmware on one of the summa's (this is my least favorite option)

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE that windows 10 is not just doing you the favor of managing printer ports for you?

windows 10 has the habit of making whatever printer you used last your default printer (good sometimes for people at home, not great for offices with dozens of printers and the need for people to navigate to more than one)

i have a large client with about 20 printers (10 zebra 100xiiii's , 7 or 8 hp officejet multifunctions & about 6 hp laserjet 4200 series)
the "windows is managing your default printers" thing is killing us, when a client prints a once a month report that uses an obscure printer

Maxphobia

it's funny, i wouldn't think this would happen so often

a couple options, i think

buy a $45 startech usb print server for one or both of the cutters, windows identifies devices by reporting name, port and hardware id

for whatever reason, your software is ignoring hardware id

option 2 is install a usb port card (should be good enough to eliminate the confusion

if you are adventurous and don't care to buy any hardware, upgrade or downgrade the firmware on one of the summa's (this is my least favorite option)

ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE that windows 10 is not just doing you the favor of managing printer ports for you?

windows 10 has the habit of making whatever printer you used last your default printer (good sometimes for people at home, not great for offices with dozens of printers and the need for people to navigate to more than one)

i have a large client with about 20 printers (10 zebra 100xiiii's , 7 or 8 hp officejet multifunctions & about 6 hp laserjet 4200 series)
the "windows is managing your default printers" thing is killing us, when a client prints a once a month report that uses an obscure printer

I'm not sure it sounds like that could be possibly be the issue. We have a guy on tech support at the moment trying to troubleshoot a printer issue. When hes done with that I'll take a look at it, how would I go about to check if thats the issue? (always fun when one updates everything)