• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SVG file extension

Jean Shimp

I received some files with an .svg file extension. I can click on them and they open but when I try to import into CorelDraw they get all distorted. I can save them or copy and paste but they turn into a bitmap file instead of a vector file. I need them in the vector format so I can resize and manipulate. Any suggestions?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Hmmm... they "should" be vector files but they may have been created in some other software that does something weird to them. I've run into that before with svg files that were created in less common software like Inkscape. I was able to get around it by first opening them in Flexi then exporting them as some other format, in my case ai and then they would open properly in Illustrator.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
.svg is scalable vector graphic, do you have illustrator? If so open or place it there and save out a usable file for yourself. Can't speak on straight how to in Corel.

WildWestDesigns

Hmmm... they "should" be vector files but they may have been created in some other software that does something weird to them. I've run into that before with svg files that were created in less common software like Inkscape. I was able to get around it by first opening them in Flexi then exporting them as some other format, in my case ai and then they would open properly in Illustrator.

In Inkscape, there are actually 2 SVG file extensions. If they used the first one, that could be why having the issue.

Attachments

• Inkscape.jpg
    Inkscape.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 175

toucan_graphics

In Inkscape, there are actually 2 SVG file extensions. If they used the first one, that could be why having the issue.

Adding more insight to this reply:

It is not only Inkscape that causes the issue - many programs have the option of saving as either "compressed svg" or plain svg. I will often times have issues with the compressed svg files being all jacked up when I import them into my cutting software. The best fix for this (that I have found) is to open the offending file in Illustrator and save again as a plain svg.

attachment.php

Attachments

• compressed-svg-shot.jpg
    compressed-svg-shot.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 468

WildWestDesigns

Adding more insight to this reply:

It is not only Inkscape that causes the issue - many programs have the option of saving as either "compressed svg" or plain svg. I will often times have issues with the compressed svg files being all jacked up when I import them into my cutting software. The best fix for this (that I have found) is to open the offending file in Illustrator and save again as a plain svg.

Compressed SVGs though, usually have a different extension compared to that of say Inkscape SVG versus Plain SVG.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
might try changing the file extension to pdf. The test file I used works but it wasn't a problem svg to begin with.