• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switched to IJ35C, now having weird streaking problem

Fechin

I just recently had to switch from IJ35 to IJ35C (Comply Adhesive) for a large job needing a 60" roll, since apparently the supplier is switching over that way. Now I'm having an issue on my HP Latex 360 when running a long take-up job of these weird streaks of various sizes from inches to half way across showing up from the carriage side. Printheads are all new and calibrated, no other material shows this effect and if I switch it over to my Epson S40600, there's no signs of this at all. And looking at the print profiles between IJ35 and IJ35C, they're practically identical.
Anyone else encounter this before?

Brandon708

Are your print heads calibrated for the media? I would clean your print heads and do a color calibration.

I use IJ35c all the time and it prints perfectly on my 360.

AaronSSsignsKC

Me as well run probably four rolls a week and ours looks great never had a result like this other than a page feed error or something. Or maybe even try running it on a cloned IJ180cv3 profile see if that cleans it up.

particleman

The simplest explanation is that you just have a contaminated roll. It isn't common with 3m but possible. I've used a lot of rolls of this on a 26500 and 560. I've never seen this issue.

Anthony Drozd

I haven't worked with that vinyl myself, but it looks like a profile problem. You should try switching to the generic self adhesive profile on the latex and see if it helps. Seems to me there is a difference in the IJ35 and IJ35C, or clone the profile as suggested above, and make some changes yourself.

Dirk Jamison

The simplest explanation is that you just have a contaminated roll. It isn't common with 3m but possible. I've used a lot of rolls of this on a 26500 and 560. I've never seen this issue.
I just recently had to switch from IJ35 to IJ35C (Comply Adhesive) for a large job needing a 60" roll, since apparently the supplier is switching over that way. Now I'm having an issue on my HP Latex 360 when running a long take-up job of these weird streaks of various sizes from inches to half way across showing up from the carriage side. Printheads are all new and calibrated, no other material shows this effect and if I switch it over to my Epson S40600, there's no signs of this at all. And looking at the print profiles between IJ35 and IJ35C, they're practically identical.
Anyone else encounter this before?

The roll is most likely contaminated. We are experiencing this in several of our 20 locations around the country, 3MIJ180CV3 is the biggest culprit for us. 3M is aware of the issue.

Joe House

It could be plasticizer migration. Whomever you brought it from may not move a lot of 60" material. This could just be old media. Check for a date code inside the core.

Dirk Jamison

It could be plasticizer migration. Whomever you brought it from may not move a lot of 60" material. This could just be old media. Check for a date code inside the core.
The roll is most likely contaminated. We are experiencing this in several of our 20 locations around the country, 3MIJ180CV3 is the biggest culprit for us. 3M is aware of the issue.

AGCharlotte

I'd go with contamination... if you already have a profile for IJ35, IJ35C should use the same profile, the vinyl is the same stuff. (heck I run IJ40 on the same profile as IJ35).

kurtz

I've been having the same issue with the IJ35C. Used to work great on my VersaCAMM, but a couple months ago started a wavy streak. Tested the material on my supplier's printer (TrueVIS) and got the same effect. Used the exact media profile downloaded from 3M. Returned both rolls to 3M. Bought another roll from a different supplier, same problem. Have switched to Arlon 4500 MLX and have no further issues.

JLevesque

This is exactly what mine is doing. I bought it from Grimco a while back and hadn't used it until recently. what a nightmare trying to find a profile to print on it and nothing is working. I may be out on this because I purchased it a while back.

Fechin

This is exactly what mine is doing. I bought it from Grimco a while back and hadn't used it until recently. what a nightmare trying to find a profile to print on it and nothing is working. I may be out on this because I purchased it a while back.
I got word straight from Grimco that it is the plasticizer on it. Apparently, the next newer printer model has a foam wiper for this stuff, otherwise it screws around with the Latex ink, but not the solvent.

Joe House

I got word straight from Grimco that it is the plasticizer on it. Apparently, the next newer printer model has a foam wiper for this stuff, otherwise it screws around with the Latex ink, but not the solvent.
It can mess with solvent printers too, but not as quickly. They should swap out that roll for a newer one. This is a problem with the vinyl, not the printer. The newer printers have the roller, but even that won't overcome severe plasticizer migration. They've just had that roll sitting around too long.

Asuma01

I used to run into that problem a lot with the IJ35 vinyl. Its just a very low grade crappy print media. I switched to 40c-20 vinyl and have never had a problem since. Its a little more expensive but the saved headaches have been worth it.