• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switching from thermal to inkjet?

Will308decals

Hi all, I currently run a little decal shop out of my basement and majority of my work is football helmet decals. I currently own a gerber edge 2 and an envision 375. The thermal printing process is a hassle and would like to get everyone opinions on what my options are for printers.

Of course, Gerber is one of the top lines for printers and many, even big decal companies, use gerber edge/FX's. But again, wanted to get eveyones opinion on what the best machine would be for helmet decals? Is Gerber the way to go/stay with, or should I look at some inkjet printers? Was thinking about possibly an HP latex 335, but I am very ill-informed and unknowledgeable when it comes to decal machines and what's best to use.

A plus to getting something other than a Gerber, I can use rolls that are larger than 15", other than that though, I do not know the benefits and downsides to thermal vs ink.

Anything and everyones opinion is wanted!

Thank you,
Will

Gary1

I still have my Gerber Edge LE. Only use it for repeat work that was done with it. Purchased it in 1998 and it still runs beautifully. Consumables are expensive compared to wide format inkjet printing. When I printed my first 4x8 on my wide format, it just blew me away as to how little time it took to print and install the piece in one piece. Where the Edge prints in panels and trimming each 4 panels then to line them up. Decals with the Edge are very durable and never had to laminate anything going on vehicles. I think it would be a good change to go to wide format. Much faster. Big set up cost but you continue from there.

when my Gerber plotter gave out this summer, I started running most decals on my Roland printer/plotter. Much less hassle and way more versatile with colors. I still use my Edge 2 to print clear decals and occasional single or duo color on colored vinyl and plot those on the new graphtec I bought. Not missing the Gerber plotter at all.

Billct2

For small decals the Gerber is still one of the best machines. You have many options fir spot colors that you won't get from many other machines.
Unless you are doing a high volume of 4 color printing I'd stay with it

petepaz

gerber edge was our first digital printer and a great machine. used it for years even after getting inkjet printers. thermal has a lot more capabilities of what you can do with it. you can print on colored material with no issue. you can print metallic, Flourescent as well as 4 color process. the gerber did have it's limitations but it was a work horse of a machine for sure. i think getting in to the inkjet realm is good but i wouldn't get rid of the gerber.
i would recommend a roland eco-solvent, 30" print cut machine that would fit the bill for what you are doing and give you a few more capabilities (if you can afford it and have the money go 54")

Will308decals

gerber edge was our first digital printer and a great machine. used it for years even after getting inkjet printers. thermal has a lot more capabilities of what you can do with it. you can print on colored material with no issue. you can print metallic, Flourescent as well as 4 color process. the gerber did have it's limitations but it was a work horse of a machine for sure. i think getting in to the inkjet realm is good but i wouldn't get rid of the gerber.
i would recommend a roland eco-solvent, 30" print cut machine that would fit the bill for what you are doing and give you a few more capabilities (if you can afford it and have the money go 54")
I did a little research on the roland print/cut machines. They seem to be very efficient and easy to use, the 2 questions I have for you, can I use any vinyl to print and cut on the roland, and can I print, laminate, then cut on the roland?

With majority of my work being football helmet decals, I print on a 6 mil vinyl, laminate with 15 mil, then cut. can I still do that process of printing, unloading the printer to laminate, them reload into the cutter to die cut with having the roland?

And to my vinyl question, I see that that roland doesn't use punched vinyl. Will I have to find a different vinyl carrier or will I be able to still used punched vinyl (just upgrade from 15" to 30")?

Very intrigued by the roland and recently have been having some issues with my gerber edge, so a new printer might be in the near future

Scott at Roland

I did a little research on the roland print/cut machines. They seem to be very efficient and easy to use, the 2 questions I have for you, can I use any vinyl to print and cut on the roland, and can I print, laminate, then cut on the roland?

With majority of my work being football helmet decals, I print on a 6 mil vinyl, laminate with 15 mil, then cut. can I still do that process of printing, unloading the printer to laminate, them reload into the cutter to die cut with having the roland?

And to my vinyl question, I see that that roland doesn't use punched vinyl. Will I have to find a different vinyl carrier or will I be able to still used punched vinyl (just upgrade from 15" to 30")?

Very intrigued by the roland and recently have been having some issues with my gerber edge, so a new printer might be in the near future
Hi Will308decals: - To answer your questions - Roland printers will work on most manufacturer's vinyl. However, I always recommend, if you are using an off brand or unusual media, it is best to ask a local dealer to print onto your media so you have an opportunity to test it yourself. Second question - yes, the Roland printers can print a job, then laminate, then return to the printer for contour cutting. This is a very easy process and the only thing to be aware of is the thickness of the laminate you are using. You may want to explore different cutting blades (60 degree instead of 45, maybe) if the media is too thick. Otherwise, the process is very simple. You can use punched vinyl on a Roland, but it is not necessary. Hope this helps!

Will308decals

Hi Will308decals: - To answer your questions - Roland printers will work on most manufacturer's vinyl. However, I always recommend, if you are using an off brand or unusual media, it is best to ask a local dealer to print onto your media so you have an opportunity to test it yourself. Second question - yes, the Roland printers can print a job, then laminate, then return to the printer for contour cutting. This is a very easy process and the only thing to be aware of is the thickness of the laminate you are using. You may want to explore different cutting blades (60 degree instead of 45, maybe) if the media is too thick. Otherwise, the process is very simple. You can use punched vinyl on a Roland, but it is not necessary. Hope this helps!
Helps a ton, thank you!

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status

FWIW, I've done a few teams worth of helmet decals for couple years now. I print them on 6 mil Substance and laminate with their 15 mil. Printed on a BN-20A. That being said, the Roland will NOT cut them cleanly, even with multiple passes. On the other hand, my Graphtec CE7000 works great for it with no drama whatsoever.

The Roland can use punched media if you have some leftover to use up (I bought some accidentally to start when I ordered from Substance and just ran with it instead of returning), but you're losing a little printable area and they aren't sprocket-feed, so no need for that when you re-order. Hope that helps a little!

Attachments

• WHCS helmet decals.jpg
    WHCS helmet decals.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 71