• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

T-60 plotter not cutting.

Splattgraphics

I run a normally bulletproof Summa T-60 plotter, and Gerber Omega software. Just today, the plotter stopped cutting. The job goes to the plot spooler, then sits a bit, and then disappears while the plotter just idles. I haven't made any changes for years. I'd just like a rundown on how to generally troubleshoot this situation... Also, does anyone love, or hate, the Summa thermal printers out there? They sound like what I should run if I was to get into printing, so I wouldn't also need a laminator in my small shop, am I right?

Gene@mpls

I have a 15year old Edge Thermal printer- have never seen a Summa printer in the flesh, but- thermals are good for a very small percentage of jobs-
for instance printing opaque white. Otherwise they are expensive and slow and a technology that is going to be extinct. And you do still need to laminate if you want a product that lasts. The version of Omega we use is old and also archaic, so I cannot comment on that. I would say call Summa-
who I think *very* highly of... but it sounds like a software problem- maybe reload the program as a start?

Splattgraphics

did that

We did reload the driver. My Omega is old too, but I doubt that's it. Summa is on tap to call me when they start up in Seattle, since I found out that the Peabody MA office has no techs for two weeks. Thanks for your input on thermal vs. inkjet. I thought thermal was the best way to start out in printing, but maybe not...

jfiscus

Rap Master
Our Summa did that a while ago, I think that the language setting got changed in either the plotter; Composer, or device driver is what it boiled down to. (HGPL/GPL/whatever setting somewhere)
I can't remember where the tech made the change anymore...

jfiscus

Rap Master
I wouldn't buy a thermal printer as my only printer. And, you still have to laminate thermal prints. Call your local suppliers and see what types of equipment they carry and when they have equipment demo's coming up. If I was buying my own equipment I would buy an Epson printer, Mimaki or Summa cutter, and GFP laminator.