• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

T shirts, etc.

old racer

Looking into purchasing a heat press to apply graphics to T-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. Do not want to get into screenprinting, etc. Looking @ a Knight heat press. What do you think? Could this be profitable and worth while? The investment for the heat press would be around $ 500.00
Interested in your opinions.

zmatalucci

I've gone this route, and have found that heat press applied graphics do not meet my approval. (feel etc.) I found a member here who does dtg fast,cheap, and perfect. I've only needed him once, but he pulled through flawlessly.

SlightlyChilled

Okay go big like 20x20 sounds big but you will see how fast you need itr. You can get a epson 1400 get some heat press ink and you are good to go. for the most part. pm me and I can give you more info

Air Art Girl

I make a ton doing garments.

Not sure if you are doing vinyl on garments or what.

As far as the Knight press, get a 16x20 with an auto open feature, you won't regret the auto open.

I do tons of sports teams. Sometimes we have 3 presses going we get so busy.

Mike_Koval

heat applied graphics can be very profitable...especially with sports teams and short run jobs.

when doing them, your heat press is the most important piece or equipment. Be wary of going the cheap route when it comes to a press. Be sure when doing your research, you check out the warranty and the availability of support and replacement parts. Stick with a name brand...you will thank yourself. You will pay more up front, but you get what you pay for.

My recomendations would be any Stahls heat press. Our best seller is the Hotronix auto clam 16x20. I just did a post on the latest and greatest in heat press technology...the Hotronix Fusion...i think that this will soon be our best seller.

If there are any questions feel free to contact me at any time. thank you.

Mosh

I have a Stahlz swinger, had it for 16-17 years, still works like new. IMO heat pressed thermo-film looks like crap, but that is compairing it to screening we do. We use that stuff for names and numbers on sports teams.

Air Art Girl

Some of the old films did look like crap but there are way more fun things you can do with films that you can't do with screen printing such are twill for one.

I have an old Hix that is ancient and still works great, a Geo. Knight and a Phoenix Phire from Imprintables that all have their purpose and work great. You can also use your press for print cut product and sublimation that have all come a long way.

My presses are busy all the time. I would stick to a name brand press as evident by Mosh and myself, they keep working. And, if they don't, you can replace the parts easy. Can't so that with Chinese crap machines.

WDP

I prefer DTG. Resembles Screenprint but faster and often times the better solution for when one wants it fast and have high end look at short runs.

Attachments

• IMAG0135.jpg
    IMAG0135.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    IMAG0141.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 100

Mosh

Didn't mean it all looks like crap, but that stuff people print and stick on like a big piece of plastic does. Back in "the day" we used hot split transfers and flock films.

skdave

We do DTG Brother 541,Tranfers, Dye sub on Polyester, And we do print cut and sew for teams. No mins:wavingflag:

WDP

Hey SKDAVE when you relaesing a cap platen that doesn't rape the wallet like Stitch does?

G-Artist

If I were to ever buy anoher heat press it would be with a swing-away head. I've had it with clam shells. They are ok for transfers and drying prints but if you are customizing via individual names using individual letters you don't want that heat in your face while working.

Expensive but worth it.

Mike_Koval

When deciding on a heat press ask youself these questions...

1. How much room do I have?
If you are limited in space, you're best option is the clam shell. These units take up little space and can be placed just about anywhere in your shop. Another nice feature on some clam shell is the auto release feature. Perfect press for those doing small amounts of transfers and busy shops where the auto release feature comes in very nicely...no baby sitting.

2. What are my main applications?
If you are doing alot of layout such as names and numbers, no question a swing away or a draw style. Heat free work space and no burny fingers! Also if you are doing items such as bags, totes and other odd shaped items, a press that allows for threadability is key...the new Hotronix Fusion is perfect for this.

3. What is my volume of presses?
If you are doing a high volume of pressing, you may want to consider an air operated swing away press. These units are completely automatic. Close with a push of a button and open automatically. This will save wear and tear on the operator.

Answer those questions and then look at the extras. For me a must would be digital time, temp and pressure readouts, and if going with a clam, auto release.