• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

T160 Problem

Bly

We've had this cutter for a few months now and once set up has been great.

Just lately we've had an issue where we set the pressure correctly then part way into the job it will increase the knife pressure so much it ruins the job.
Like it would cut through the backing if we didn't have the depth set correctly.

Windows 10 PC, cutting from Winplot and Bar Code Server.

We've really busy at the moment so this is a problem.
Anything with more than about 5 or 6 lines of text has to be cut in sections which is getting old now.

I've reset to factory defaults, saved files in different formats to no avail.
Anyone?

Snydo

I'm assuming you ruled out double cuts, as in whoever set up the cut file didn't put 2 contours on the same text. And when you say it increases the knife pressure, does it actually increase the number that shows on the screen while cutting?

Bly

No it's set at 60 for cast but is going way harder than that.
There are no double cuts. 1st thing I checked.
It's still under warranty so a tech should be here today or tomorrow.
Lucky we kept the D160 as a backup for times like this.

Snydo

I've been running our T160 like a red-headed step child of a rented mule for about 20 months now and have nothing but praise for it.

Also for what its worth, I cut several rolls of 24" 751 and 951 Oracal per week, my optimal pressure setting is 95 so maybe you have too much blade and not enough force for consistent cutting.

Bly

That's interesting.
Maybe one day I'll start a thread asking advice on what pressure to set my cutters.
But not today.

Bly

The tech came and tinkered.
By the time he left it wouldn't boot up without some kind of y axis error.
Parts supposed to arrive tomorrow.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
As was mentioned previously by Snydo, I suspect that there is too much blade depth and not enough pressure. The pressure setting I use for similar materials is typically 80-100 grams, so the pressure seems a bit too low. Optimal blade depth on the tangential plotters is having the blade protruding just past the ball bearings on the nose piece. If it protruding much beyond the ball bearings then you likely are using too much blade depth. Perhaps the reseller you are working with can help dial that in after they figure out the axis errors you are now getting.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. My email is philj@summa.us.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Bly

It was cutting perfectly until 10 minutes into the job when it went crazy hard. Maybe the blade was out a hair too much but explain how the blade length would cause the problem.
I've used vinyl cutters for many years so think i can set one up by now.
It's clearly a fault with the machine.
Summas are clearly not the ultra reliable bits of equipment some make out. They have faults like all the others.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
You are able to make much more fine tuned adjustments that are more controllable when adjusting the pressure versus the depth. The depth is a manual adjustment subject to the operator of the cutter setting it the same each time and if you use too much or too little blade depth the cut quality will vary much more than if you make a 5-10 gram adjustment on the pressure.

So, I would give what I suggested a try. I think if you do you will get much more consistent, predictable results versus the way you are doing it currently.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Bly

You are able to make much more fine tuned adjustments that are more controllable when adjusting the pressure versus the depth. The depth is a manual adjustment subject to the operator of the cutter setting it the same each time and if you use too much or too little blade depth the cut quality will vary much more than if you make a 5-10 gram adjustment on the pressure.

So, I would give what I suggested a try. I think if you do you will get much more consistent, predictable results versus the way you are doing it currently.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Haha love the way you ignore the problem I have and tell me I'm using the thing wrong.

Maybe Kelly's problem is caused by incorrect blade length too..
Summa S2T 140 consistently poor print/cut

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Not sure why you are being argumentative when I am simply trying to help by offering up suggestions. If you want to continue cutting the way you would prefer then go for it. Just offering pointers based on years of experience with these cutters.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

FrankW

I've used vinyl cutters for many years so think i can set one up by now.

This thinking is very dangerous. My suggestion is: stay open minded.

I'm a supporter in the business for nearly 20 years. You can be shure that "I know how to do this" is one of the more often causes for problems.

kffernandez

hi bly!

let me rephrase phil's suggestion a bit. i think he is on the right track, but it needs to be explained in a different manner.

while it is still entirely possible that your machine might have a problem in maintaining cutting pressure. adjusting the blade depth to an optimal height will allow you to continue cutting without any fear of cutting through the backing.

in your summa manual, there is a guide there on how to properly setup blade depth when you're not doing flex cut. it basically tells you that if you're not flex cutting, with a tangential blade, you should reduce the blade depth to the point that it will not cut through the backing paper - even if you double or triple the cutting force. this is possible because, with a tangential blade, there are small wheels that guide the blade, and if you properly setup the amount of blade sticking out, it will not be physically possible to cut through your backing paper.

if you do this properly, you can go back to worry-free cutting, while waiting for your reseller to check if your machine has an actual problem that needs to be addressed.

kelly

Bly

The blade wasn't cutting through the backing paper.
But the machine going ballistic with pressure made an impression on the reverse that wasn't normal.
Thanks for everyone's concern though.
I know how to load vinyl in a cutter. I've been doing it every day for my business...

The tech replaced a heap of parts and it seems to be cutting normally now although on boot up it gives an "Up-down encoder not working" error.
Maybe he loaded the knife wrong??

Hotspur

Wow!

I don't think I've read this degree of sarcasm in response to good-intentioned advice on here before.

Obviously the pressure thing is a read herring now there is more detail - but it's perfectly good advice to begin a troubleshooting process it's where I would have started.

Bly no-one on here needs to help you - show some class when they offer their time to do so.

Bly

Nobody did help me, including you. But thanks for chipping in.
Showing real class yourself there mate.
A couple of 'experts' told me I caused a problem with their bulletproof machine by using it incorrectly.
It's almost as if I haven't run vinyl cutters every working day for many many years as if my livelihood depended on it.

I don't think I've read this degree of sarcasm in response to good-intentioned advice on here before.

Obviously the pressure thing is a read herring now there is more detail - but it's perfectly good advice to begin a troubleshooting process it's where I would have started.

Bly no-one on here needs to help you - show some class when they offer their time to do so.

Robert Gruner

Bly,

You previously mentioned your cutter is only a few months old. If the reseller has already replaced a bunch of parts and you are still getting errors...you might try asking your reseller or even Summa Direct to replace it for you? There are such things as "lemons" in all product lines.

Hope you get the problems resolved quickly.

jerry369

A couple of 'experts' told me I caused a problem with their bulletproof machine by using it incorrectly.
It's almost as if I haven't run vinyl cutters every working day for many many years as if my livelihood depended on it.
I don't know how long is your experience on tangential cutters, I can only tell you they are much more sensible to the user settings, expecially the knife depth, than drag cutters. This is the reason because many have asked you to verify it.

Can you tell us which components have been replaced by the technician? The entire tangential head or others?