• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tactile and braille sign

bigben

I would like to know what kind of equipment it take to make tactile and braille signs? I'm very intrigued in this market and would like to learn more about it. I've googled the topic but did not get a clear answers.

Thanks.

Inks

Mutoh has a couple of small flabeds Xpertjet 461UF and 661UF for this application. Should be videos on youtube for these units.

CanuckSigns

We make a ton of tactile & braille signs, we use a laser engraver for cutting the rowmark applique, and a rotary engraver for the raster braille.

There is also the photopolymer process, which is great for large runs, but the inevitable 3 signs at the end of the job that got missed add up very quickly, it's a very setup heavy process similar to screenprinting, we have made quite a few one-off signs for companies that used photopolymer originally in their building, but now don't want to spend $500 on a single sign.

You can also flatbed print them on certain flatbed machines, however my understanding of this process is that it's EXTREMLY slow as the printer has to print quite few layers of in to build up the height needed to be ADA compliant, it seems cool for small order, but if you get an order for 500 signs your labour is going to kill your profit.

• Informative
Reactions: 2B

bigben

In my current example, I have to make a directory with braille. The board is 36in wide X 60in high. How would I add the braille on this?

CanuckSigns

In my current example, I have to make a directory with braille. The board is 36in wide X 60in high. How would I add the braille on this?
Is your directory made of a single panel, or are there individual "slats" for each tenant? Individual slats make much more sense since they can be updated easily when people move, and you can add braille much easier on a 36" x 4" piece than a 36"x60"

CanuckSigns

You're that guy hand placing applique! Have you tried it with the rotary engraver after the material is already stuck? I'm so curious how this works out. Got a shot of a finished product?

Our current process is to stick the applique on the sign, put it in the laser to cut, then weed it off, no issues except we are limited to using P95 acrylic, if we try to use glossy acrylic or even non-glare, the tape from the applique sticks to well to the backer and leaves tons of tape behind when weeded off.

Attachments

• meeting room.jpg
    meeting room.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
  • stair level.jpg
    stair level.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • laundry room.jpg
    laundry room.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 193

CanuckSigns

Oh I see. Yeah, every time I've thought "I'll make a really cool sign with raised copy on a glossy material!" Then after 15 minutes of picking at adhesive, I give up. It shouldn't matter much, ADA requires a matte or at least non-glossy finish. Any reason you don't use the rotary for this? These do look nice and crisp.
Speed mostly, the laser cuts the applique much faster then the rotary, the laundry room sign is about 8"x8" and the laser would take about 20 seconds to cut the applique on that sign, plus there are no little chips to clean up.

We run a vision 1612 for our rotary, and while its a workhorse, it's also a PITA to run, always some little annoyance in the software. I try to avoid using it at all possible, its mostly used for braille and diamond dragging trophy plates at this point.

gnubler

I'm bidding on a job for directory signs in an office building. A new wing was recently subdivided into 20 offices and they want to try to match the signs used in the rest of the building. The signs are about 8x8" curved plastic with tactile letters and braille. Image attached, this looks like a stock item I can just order. Tried a Google image search but haven't found anything close yet. Any recommendations?

image002.png

Megagrafix

President
I would like to know what kind of equipment it take to make tactile and braille signs? I'm very intrigued in this market and would like to learn more about it. I've googled the topic but did not get a clear answers.

Thanks.
Try Cadlink.com

Thanks.
cadlink.com

JethroMc

We make a ton of tactile & braille signs, we use a laser engraver for cutting the rowmark applique, and a rotary engraver for the raster braille.

There is also the photopolymer process, which is great for large runs, but the inevitable 3 signs at the end of the job that got missed add up very quickly, it's a very setup heavy process similar to screenprinting, we have made quite a few one-off signs for companies that used photopolymer originally in their building, but now don't want to spend $500 on a single sign.

You can also flatbed print them on certain flatbed machines, however my understanding of this process is that it's EXTREMLY slow as the printer has to print quite few layers of in to build up the height needed to be ADA compliant, it seems cool for small order, but if you get an order for 500 signs your labour is going to kill your profit.
Just a word regarding UV flatbed printing tactile ADA signs, I have done some experiments on our Fluidcolor R84F, and managed to print tactile text a little over 1/32" in height in a single pass using white ink to build up the height quickly and an overcoat of whatever color is needed. (I say one pass, the machine is really doing multiple passes, but it's all done in one print run.) I realize this is not the answer for mass production because it is a little slow, but for small jobs its great and very versatile.

Neko2

Canon claims to be able to print braille with the Colorado as the gel ink allows a precise and fast build. I haven't seen it done yet though.

gnubler

Vista Systems
I take it you recommend this one? I got a quote back from them and it seems pretty high, like my cost being the same as what I'm seeing on a retail office sign site for a similar sign. Graphic Components responded saying they're at capacity and not taking new customers, but gave me a few other shops to try:

Erie Custom Signs
Cab Signs
Park Place Sign
Howard Industries
Bellco

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, I didn't recommend it, but that looks like my sample here in the shop. Don't get mad at the messenger. If you can't afford it, look for a knockoff or talk them into something else.

Like I'm always saying.... along with some other members, it's only high in your eyes, not to people who have been doing this as a business for years. You get what ya pay for. Wanna race to the bottom, go ahead, but when moving into your new digs, are you gonna cut all the corners and put second best in for yourself ?? I would hope not, but it could happen. Ain't no frickin' way, I wanna be known for always finding a deal for someone.

Remember, ya have 3 things in business, which determines your reputation. Price, craftsmanship and service. Ya just can't have all three at once. Two so one must be omitted.

gnubler

I got a few quotes back and they're all within the same ballpark, so at least I know what I'm dealing with now. Talked to someone at Howard Industries, really helpful. Thanks for the input on Vista. Their quote was in line with the others, so not expensive as I originally stated.

When I went to the site visit I noticed a few tenants had busted into their ADA signs and changed out the insert. One of them taped a piece of paper over the braille. LOL! Just stupid.

At Howard we have two vision engravers and two DCS 7200z flatbeds. Both run from CADlink software.

Most non metallic raised/ADA is all done on the DCS machines. The DCS are very finicky and require a fair amount of cleaning/maintenance to keep them working well. Great for mid sized runs though. They also produce some fascinating results when printing on glow-in-the-dark or fluorescent stuff. Golf balls startled me at first.....like little suns

Had to make a topper and a bigger jig to minimize the glare. Was NOT expecting it to be so bright at all.

Attachments

• ballbomb.jpg
    ballbomb.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 109