• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tape Residue On Rolls

HaroldDesign

What you guys use on your rolls of vinyl to keep them "shut". Everything leaves a residue that I'm quite sick of. I've tried different kinds of tape and Photo-tex types of products, and nothing works without leaving residue. A bunch of huge snap-bracelet type things would be nice.

BadAss

We use 1" Perfect tear tape. Never had a problem. When we used 2" or masking it would leave residue. But now using the 1" everything works fine...

Monsterkidz

i usually write the manufacturer/color on a piece of pre-mask. (I have a 3" wide roll just for this duty) It works OK, doesn't stick as good as masking tape, but doesn't leave as much residue as masking tape. If you find something better, I am all ears!

HaroldDesign

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the Perfect tear tape. I would use transfer tape, but I write details on it and re-use the "label" over and over.

gabagoo

elasticbands can leave marks in the vinyl, especially 2ml high gloss. I use pre mask but over time it will leave residue

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We get newspaper endrolls from the local paper dirt cheap (use them for masking and wrapping up finished projects). Tear off a piece, wrap the roll and tape on top of that.
Keeps the roll tight & free of most dust. Makes it easy to load into the printer without touching the material.

Team Valhalla

Being a newbie... is it wrong to put a rubber band at each end of the roll?

I put a rubber band at each of the roll. It falls within the area that the pinch rollers track.

Sp

jscarl

I just use the tape that comes on the roll. Cut it inti 1" pieces. If it does leave residue, Rapid Tac remover.

Mainframe

I quit using tape, every freekin time I print a taped roll I get nailed with some kind of marks, even if I clean it with everything under the sun, now I make strips of release liner & wrap them around the roll & staple it, I no it doesn't look neat but I am the only one who goes in the "back" so customers don't see it & I have no more tape marks in my prints.

Mosh

We made velco bands using banner material and self adhesive velcro. Copied from the zeronine ones. App tapes works on stuff you use alot.

trakers

Rubber bands work perfect for us. They will mark over time, but at the edge of the roll it doesn't matter.

Replicator

I actually use rubber bands and have for over five years now . . . I was merely addressing a solution to the OP's question.

Mosh

Just my experience with rubber bands....They seem to pucker stuff over a long period, in our shop anyway.

hatmanok

I went to Staples and bought a roll of velcro wire ties. They are in sections of about 8" and you seperate them into the length you need them. Very cheap and clean and no problem with wrinkles or goo.