• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Terminated graphic designer's revenge..................................................?

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm making some wallsigns for United Built Homes, and after doing a mess of work in corel, I import it into enroute and notice the telltale signs of slightly crooked letters (vertical strokes having a single step over instead of one continuous line). So I figure the sales guy cocked the logo crooked to match the pictures (which is stupid), but to my surprise that isn't the case. Whatever, I'll go find a logo off their website, surprisingly the logo on the landing page is a scaled SVG, I download, convert to pdf, import into Corel, and it's the exact same amount wrong... Someone please tell me my computer is acting up, these files look fine, but are 1/10th of a degree off axis.
1697648642366.png

This is a shot of a 92" span, dropping 3/16".
1697648791970.png

Here's another at 10' span raising 5/16". On the same layout no less!

It's asinine, and all I can figure is literally a disgruntled employee giving one last fu before retiring/firing. Anybody ever seen this with such a 'large' company? They're not what I'd consider national, but at $70+ million a year, you'd think their logo would be straight.

MikePro

takes effort to hide easter eggs, my best guess is just pure laziness. at scale for website/letterhead logo design, that would only be off by <1/64"

JBurton

Signtologist
my best guess is just pure laziness
Yeah, but it takes a touch of effort to rotate such a minimal amount, assuming these are just fonts layed out. And to further rotate one clockwise and one counter clockwise is a 'mistake' that can't be made unintentionally, right?
Obviously none of this is even wrong enough to appear off, unless you're trying to square up a pattern, or draw a box around the letters. At web scale I don't think it would appear off at all, unless you were counting pixels, in which case it's about 1/2 - 1 pixel off...
1697650678763.png

JBurton

Signtologist
You've never got a shit made logo from anyone before? Big companies put out the same amount of crap as some of the little guys.
There was that one that I had a robot make...
But really, I'm the most annoying production guy you'd come across. If it's out of center any, odd dimensions, two different hues of black, running uphill, anything, I'm telling the sales guys all about it. Usually to the point they wave me away with permission to fix whatever needs to be fixed. I'm more than aware that we've had signs hung crooked, or matched to a crooked brick line/unlevel flashing, upside down o's, you name it, but if it's something I have control over, it's as perfect as I can get it...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
There was that one that I had a robot make...
But really, I'm the most annoying production guy you'd come across. If it's out of center any, odd dimensions, two different hues of black, running uphill, anything, I'm telling the sales guys all about it. Usually to the point they wave me away with permission to fix whatever needs to be fixed. I'm more than aware that we've had signs hung crooked, or matched to a crooked brick line/unlevel flashing, upside down o's, you name it, but if it's something I have control over, it's as perfect as I can get it...
Annoying to people that aren't doing their job properly. That's a good thing

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's a Charlotte that lives about 1/2 mile down the road from us, near Walnut Road. Very nice old lady.

gnubler

You've never got a shit made logo from anyone before? Big companies put out the same amount of crap as some of the little guys.
I got a style guide complete with logos from Starbucks once...as a Word doc. Not sure why that even existed for such a massive company.
It took some hair pulling and contacting several other people to finally get EPS files for printing.