• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Terminology index? Dictionary?

wannabe

When I search the site for specific info, ie; Pen Plotter, outdoor digital printer, because I lack the proper wordage I end up skimming hundreds of posts/threads zeroing in on the red highlighted parts of my search. Of course wading through so much info while seeking my topic creates even MORE questions to search. It's like being in a verbal labyrinth and the harder I look for my answer, the more questions I have. Ok, so there are no magic bullets, easy buttons, etc. Is there a Signs101 dictionary or terminology index for newbies?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No.

The nature of the world of online forums is really based on questions, answers and discussion with lots of opinions and a certain amount of bad information mixed in with the good.

Researching is a good thing and to be encouraged. It will help you to form better questions and receive better answers. But questions, at any point in your self education are also a good thing. Most of us are here to help one another and to be helped when needed.

iSign

Fred, this reminds me of the wikipedia-style link to various word definitions on other sites like printingdigital.net I imagine you are quite familiar with them & would have formulated opinions already on whether that concept has merit here, so I'm curious what you think.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Fred, this reminds me of the wikipedia-style link to various word definitions on other sites like printingdigital.net I imagine you are quite familiar with them & would have formulated opinions already on whether that concept has merit here, so I'm curious what you think.

Resist the temptation to implement this annoyance. It can only be useful to any reader one time, the first time it encounters some term with which it's not familiar. From then on it's useless and annoying. even if you don't cursor on top of one of these links, the change in font/color/format/whatever denoting such a link is sufficient to disturb the wah of most civilized beings.

Moreover learning the nomenclature through contextual usage rather than a fusillade of arbitrary definitions gives broader and longer lasting results. If you figure something out all by yourself it has meaning beyond a mere rote memorization of someone else's concept of a definition of some term or another.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

The forum software has an encyclopedia which currently has no content. It can be turned on and members would be able to add articles to it. The key to it being an endeavor which would be fruitful is one articulate, motivated and highly organized individual to take charge of it and to make it fly.

Are you volunteering?

Craig Sjoquist

wonders what your looking for ...proper names for plotters that we use or as a whole sign, advertising, graphics, printing industry terminology....
freedom is not free

odecom

The forum software has an encyclopedia which currently has no content. It can be turned on and members would be able to add articles to it. The key to it being an endeavor which would be fruitful is one articulate, motivated and highly organized individual to take charge of it and to make it fly.

Are you volunteering?

actually, i'd love to volunteer :D

wannabe

"actually, i'd love to volunteer :D"

So are you gonna start a poll requesting words and terms to be defined/explained? I'll be making my list. lol

flat rock stan

I know right before I found this thread I did a site search for “coro” and found reference to coroplast then googled it. Very basic sign material but being a newbie I have been calling it plastic cardboard! I think the encyclopedia is a great idea.
Stan
www.autowindowtinting.com

I'll be making my list

An encyclopedia is not really required. Post your list of "terms" or "laymen definitions" and we are sure that people here will respond with the proper terms and/or definitions.

I am sure that Fred could make a "sticky" out of later.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Encyclopedia module has been turned on. It has no meaningful articles or definitions. there are a few starters to get an idea of format in the Computer Terms encyclopedia. Sign making Terms is empty. The way it is setup, any articles or definitions must be inserted through the Admin Control panel, so if you have entries you would like placed in it, copy and paste them into a PM to me and we'll see how it goes.

I would suggest that brand names and generic names for the hardware, software and materials that we use is a good place to start.

The Encyclopedia module can be accessed from the Module Jump menu and also has a block in the left margin of most pages.