• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Testing vinyl on painted surface.

Andy D

I normally do everything I can to avoid applying vinyl directly on painted surfaces, but I got stuck with one.
The problem is the vinyl will be shipped to the customer & is too far away for my to test.
I sent a color sample to the customer, if I have him apply that color sample and let it sit for 3-4 days, would that
pretty much show if the vinyl will fail or not? If vinyl is going to fail, does it start lifting in a day or two?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Painted what and with what ??

Different things take different times to fail. There's a myriad of things to make vinyl fail besides just incompatibility. Temperature, paint additives, sheen, poor technique, post heating, no post heating, texture, time lapse of painting/curing time of paint, then that of the vinyl supplied.

victor bogdanov

All the decals I sell get applied directly to painted surfaces (painted drywall). Failure to adhere is very rare, Maybe 0.1% and only happens with removable adhesive vinyl, permanent hasn't failed yet. First sign that the vinyl might not stick is having a hard time removing the transfer tape

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I normally do everything I can to avoid applying vinyl directly on painted surfaces, but I got stuck with one.
The problem is the vinyl will be shipped to the customer & is too far away for my to test.
I sent a color sample to the customer, if I have him apply that color sample and let it sit for 3-4 days, would that
pretty much show if the vinyl will fail or not? If vinyl is going to fail, does it start lifting in a day or two?
I would just sell them high tack vinyl, otherwise a failure is on you.