• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thanksgiving stories

shakey0818

First of all id like to wish everyone and their families a happy and safe Holiday,and a special thanks to Fred and all the wonderful mods that make this forum such a great place.I would like to hear some thanksgiving day stories good & bad.I always have a great day with my wonderful family but both sides don't really drink and there is never any drama.So share the drama.I miss all the action my family is boring.HAPPY TURKEY DAY!:wavingflag:

d fleming

No drama here, although last year we did make a heckuva mess frying turkeys! They turned out awesome, looking forward to mimosas and turkey fryin Thurs morning. Be nice to have a few days off as well, maybe play a round of whackf#*% or go fishin.

Marlene

we used to go to my grandma's house every year for Thanksgiving. sounds nice doesn't it, but not all grammies can cook. she used to do something she called "plunking" the turkey. what that involved was cooking the turkey at a real low heat, then taking it out of the oven, letting it sit for hours and then cooking it again. my mom worried that she would kill us so we weren't allowed to eat hardly any turkey. she also started the meal with a half of a grapefruit with a cherry on top. eating grapefruit makes everything else taste pretty horrid. stupid thing was, no matter how awful the meal, I always looked forward to Thanksgiving anyway. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I found out tht it was suppose to be good tasting meal!

Jillbeans

Happy turkey day!
Thanksgiving has always been kind of a weird day for me.
I'm the youngest of 7 kids, so I never got to sit at the "big" table.
That still bugs me!
My late uncle Joe was a drinker.
He was a salesman, with pale blue eyes and he told the best jokes.
He would come by early in the day when Mom was preparing the meal.
She would always save the turky neck for him on a paper plate.
He would sit at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and a fork, picking all that stringy meat off the neck.
Most of my memories of any holidays are of Mom scrubbing our floors on her hands and knees and hollering at us not to walk on them.
She made the pies the night before (as I do now) and we were not allowed near them.
My grandparents lived next door and they would come over in time for the big meal.
Earlier in the day I would be sent over to retrieve the big turkey platter my sister Connie got at Autenreith's downtown, it was too big for our cupboards.
We ate on Golden Wheat dishes that Mom had gotten one at a time in boxes of detergent.
We had an appetizer made out of a pear half with a cream cheese ball rolled in walnuts with a cherry on top (yuck)
and I always had to stuff the celery.
I make my kids do that now.
Mom would always save the turkey tail for my grandma to eat, and we were all so grossed out by it.
Mam (my grandma) would slice her prerequisite cranberry circle from the can into precise little squares.
She took forever to eat, and we couldn't dig into the pies until she was finished with her plate.
The rest of the day would be spent washing dishes and sorting out leftovers.
The roaster pan would be carried back over to my grnadparents for Pap to feed the scraps to his coon dogs.

When I grew up turkey day was always an iffy one.
I usually had to deal with a drunk surly husband or some other crisis.
Like the first year here when my oven broke.
I kept wondering what was taking so long and here the damn oven died.
Luckily we had brought our old oven in the move, and my dad hooked it up.
Then one year my water heater died.
I kept wondering why the hot water kept getting colder and sure enough it was the water heater.
We boiled water on the stove to do dishes that year.

Then one year I had my new cell phone on the counter and my son knocked it into the pan of turkey goo.
Not sure what will happen this year.
It's always something!
Love....Jill

tcorn1965

Hay D Fleming is deep frying a turkey worth the mess and agrivation?Is it crispy or greasy?TY

Deep frying a Turkey is pretty easy. Crispy on the outside, not greasy at all, and very tender and moist on the inside. No aggravation and it cooks much quicker. If I wasnt going to my mothers I would fry again this year.

B-RAD Graphics

Happy turkey day!
Thanksgiving has always been kind of a weird day for me.
I'm the youngest of 7 kids, so I never got to sit at the "big" table.
That still bugs me!
My late uncle Joe was a drinker.
He was a salesman, with pale blue eyes and he told the best jokes.
He would come by early in the day when Mom was preparing the meal.
She would always save the turky neck for him on a paper plate.
He would sit at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and a fork, picking all that stringy meat off the neck.
Most of my memories of any holidays are of Mom scrubbing our floors on her hands and knees and hollering at us not to walk on them.
She made the pies the night before (as I do now) and we were not allowed near them.
My grandparents lived next door and they would come over in time for the big meal.
Earlier in the day I would be sent over to retrieve the big turkey platter my sister Connie got at Autenreith's downtown, it was too big for our cupboards.
We ate on Golden Wheat dishes that Mom had gotten one at a time in boxes of detergent.
We had an appetizer made out of a pear half with a cream cheese ball rolled in walnuts with a cherry on top (yuck)
and I always had to stuff the celery.
I make my kids do that now.
Mom would always save the turkey tail for my grandma to eat, and we were all so grossed out by it.
Mam (my grandma) would slice her prerequisite cranberry circle from the can into precise little squares.
She took forever to eat, and we couldn't dig into the pies until she was finished with her plate.
The rest of the day would be spent washing dishes and sorting out leftovers.
The roaster pan would be carried back over to my grnadparents for Pap to feed the scraps to his coon dogs.

When I grew up turkey day was always an iffy one.
I usually had to deal with a drunk surly husband or some other crisis.
Like the first year here when my oven broke.
I kept wondering what was taking so long and here the damn oven died.
Luckily we had brought our old oven in the move, and my dad hooked it up.
Then one year my water heater died.
I kept wondering why the hot water kept getting colder and sure enough it was the water heater.
We boiled water on the stove to do dishes that year.

Then one year I had my new cell phone on the counter and my son knocked it into the pan of turkey goo.
Not sure what will happen this year.
It's always something!
Love....Jill

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
..thanks for sharing...:omg2: