• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The constant battle against dust!

GMCpartsmonkey

My workplace recently bought a VG2-540 Roland printer that I have begun to learn and use. I have had dust cause quality issues as the room it's set up in is less than sterile. I've been dusting and cleaning the printer everyday but it's not printing perfectlike I know it can. I've been told this printer will remain in a shop environment and that dust will need to be dealt with. I've been using clean microfiber and air duster (gently) to clean media and the printer. Is there something else anyone could suggest? I do have a cover for it ordered.

Below is a (poor quality) image example of the quality issues I've been dealing with, dust being printed over. The image to the right of it is a bonus question. The tiniest splotch of darker ink that almost looks like a fingerprint, I thought this issue had been solved by a Roland tech visit yesterday but it just showed Everytime I turn around there's a layer of dust over my work/workplace. up in the most recent one I did

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Invest in a smoke eater. They are essentially a giant ionizer (electronic dust magnet) that attracts microscopic particles.

After the smoking ban in restaurants occurred, the second-hand market was flooded with them. You may be able to find a used one for a good price.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If they cannot put the machine in a room where it would work properly, then tell them you don't wanna be the janitor anymore. Dusting around the printer constantly is really just stirring up more dust and dirt, than if you just let it alone.

hobbymad

Only the outside of the roll usually has a bit of dust on it. I just wipe it down with a Swiffer before loading into the printer.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
If you don't have the ability to put it in it's own room out of the way from all the hustle and bustle, then maybe try putting up tarp walls or something to protect the area, and get one of those smoke eater things to take out the dust particles. But the best solution would be to put it in a better area.

Inks

Only the outside of the roll usually has a bit of dust on it. I just wipe it down with a Swiffer before loading into the printer.
If the material is attracting dust then most likely the air is too dry. Check the humidity level in your shop.