• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Great Canning Jar Shortage?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
So they tell me there's still problems getting canning jars. Much of last year's trouble centered around the uncertainty of COVID, but it really isn't too difficult to draw a reasonable conclusion for the low supply...especially in the "friendly" states.

A renaissance in "home canning" is taking place these days...namely CANNABIS. When some stoner / hippy dude in front of you at Wal-Mart checks out with a cart chock full of jars, believe me...he's not fixing to put up a decade's supply of grandma's pickle relish.

This time of year, vegetable gardens in our neck of the woods are usually being laid to rest, and any left-over jars would normally be found in the clearance aisle by now. Our our local Wal-Mart (here in Michigan) just got a fresh shipment of jars this week (Oct. 4)...dang near a pallet's worth, I reckon. That store manager is one smart cookie and obviously knows when those buds will be ready.

Take a drive down some of our country back-roads and take a deep whiff....those aren't your gran's flowers either.

JB

rjssigns

Learn sumthin' here every day.

Although it makes me wonder why they would use canning jars instead of vacuum bagging their "herbs".

RandyDe

Interesting fact. I assumed that all weed was stored in baggies or ziplocks. Smoking pot is legal in our province now and I find it interesting on how many homes smell of pot when I go on my nightly walk with the dog.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Learn sumthin' here every day.

Although it makes me wonder why they would use canning jars instead of vacuum bagging their "herbs".
My neighbor runs a small semi-commercial operation. He claims that poly bags are oxygen-permeable, and that glass or Mylar bags are the only options for long term storage.
In his case, he would opt for Mylar due to his volume. But it's the back-yard growers (and we have a lot of them) that have suddenly taken an interest in home canning. Mason jars are very effective, relatively inexpensive, easily accessible (usually) and re-usable...the same reasons why grandma used them.

JB

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
So they tell me there's still problems getting canning jars. Much of last year's trouble centered around the uncertainty of COVID, but it really isn't too difficult to draw a reasonable conclusion for the low supply...especially in the "friendly" states.

A renaissance in "home canning" is taking place these days...namely CANNABIS. When some stoner / hippy dude in front of you at Wal-Mart checks out with a cart chock full of jars, believe me...he's not fixing to put up a decade's supply of grandma's pickle relish.

This time of year, vegetable gardens in our neck of the woods are usually being laid to rest, and any left-over jars would normally be found in the clearance aisle by now. Our our local Wal-Mart (here in Michigan) just got a fresh shipment of jars this week (Oct. 4)...dang near a pallet's worth, I reckon. That store manager is one smart cookie and obviously knows when those buds will be ready.

Take a drive down some of our country back-roads and take a deep whiff....those aren't your gran's flowers either.

JB
Hey, I resembled that back in 09!

rjssigns

My neighbor runs a small semi-commercial operation. He claims that poly bags are oxygen-permeable, and that glass or Mylar bags are the only options for long term storage.
In his case, he would opt for Mylar due to his volume. But it's the back-yard growers (and we have a lot of them) that have suddenly taken an interest in home canning. Mason jars are very effective, relatively inexpensive, easily accessible (usually) and re-usable...the same reasons why grandma used them.

JB
Thank you for the information. I imagine there are a lot of grandmas hacked off they can't put up jams, pickles and vegetables because of the weed operations. Amusing to say the least, can't make this stuff up...

gnubler

I just gave away a bunch of quart jars. My canning days are on hold, great reset or not.

rjssigns

I just gave away a bunch of quart jars. My canning days are on hold, great reset or not.
Haven't canned anything in a while either. Been vacuum sealing meat and veg to put in the chest freezer. Waiting to splurge on a chamber style vac sealer.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Depends on how wet it is when you seal it up. If properly dried, it won't mold, but if it's still damp and you seal it up, in time it can get moldy. They charge more for that.

SignosaurusRex

A renaissance in "home canning" is taking place these days...namely CANNABIS.
When some stoner / hippy dude in front of you at Wal-Mart checks out with a cart chock full of jars, believe me...he's not fixing to put up a decade's supply of grandma's pickle relish.

Take a drive down some of our country back-roads and take a deep whiff....those aren't your gran's flowers either

JB

That "Stoner" (looking) / "Hippie dude" is not the one to wonder about. He's probably putting up Beans, Tomatoes, Pickled eggs and Granola (and whatever else) for the year.
Not to say he doesn't have a couple of jars set aside for the "Bud". . . But.. . .
It's the casual looking, reasonably well dressed, middle aged dude, making his purchase in the middle of the day that you should be looking at with a jaundiced eye. :wink:

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs

JB
He is correct on that, a quick search on a prepper site will tell you everything you need to know about long term food storage, although I don't recall them ever mentioning weed storage LOL. He may already know but adding an oxygen absorber would be a good idea also.

I canned 110 quarts this year and canned banana bread...which ended up being quite delicious, surprisingly from a Tik Tok video. Growing season is done here, just a few sunflowers left to deal with. Trying my hand at hydroponic gardening in the basement this year.

Last year I had a really hard time finding canning lids. I ended up buying some on Amazon. I now have about 4 years worth and I use canning jars for everything, all my dehydrated food, dry herbs...I don't smoke weed but if I did, I would store it in a canning jar in a dark place or paint the jar black.

DeadDoc

Haven't seen a shortage in either city I have lived in within the past couple of years but I am pretty sure they were storing them in these before plastics were around. 64oz jars works wonders for storage!
Just don't ever used a washed out minced garlic jar. Weed is supposed to give you the munchies anyway, but when you smell & taste that garlic it's pizza time.
Hit up your local brewery for some lye and acid to clean those jars right up! That stuff cleans anything off of glass. ;)