• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPaint

answer me this, in all of history, what you say holds true, hasnt all of the wars we fought been this:
only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun?
and the idiocy continues today.....
as they say NO ONE EVER LEARNS FROM HISTORY.

skyhigh

Regardless, trade unions have long ago served their purpose, as did buggy whips and bung starters, and remain a curious and inconvenient relic of the past. If there was not incredible power and wealth to be gained by the organizers and leaders of trade unions they long ago would have went the way of other antiques. Once the were an integral part of society, now they are a costly job killing economy strangling pestilence.

Costly job killing economy strangling persilence?? Or better yet, "scapegoat" for the greedy corporations that take advantage of 3rd world labor rates, while using the unions as their excuse.

I like to think of the unions as a safeguard from backsliding to days long ago.

As for the gun control issue....
I think they could (and should) round up all guns from private citizens. Most privately owned guns could be collected within a year.

Of course, I will become a criminal when, and if that happens.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The sad truth is that no solution being put forth would have prevented the carnage at Sandy Hook Elementary. They might have been less if armed resistance was present but the flip side of that is the potential harm to others across the nation by arming amateurs.

There are any number of solutions, both short and long term, that will be offered ranging from gun restriction to committing the mentally disturbed to arming amateurs to restricting violence in our entertainment.

What should be the topic of conversation is what the nature of a solution should look like in a nation that doesn't seem to be able to agree on anything. I would submit that the only solutions we will be able to find widespread support for will be those which target individual wrongdoers and those exhibiting an imminent, potential threat. Solutions which remove the rights of the many in hopes of stopping the few simply will not work and civil disobedience will be the result.

My suggested solutions:

• Make all crimes of violence, as well as illegal gun possession, federal crimes with stiff, mandatory jail sentences.
  • Make parents and mental health providers legally responsible for the acts of those under their supervision.
  • Make gun owners legally responsible for violent acts committed with their weapons.
  • Take steps to reduce the violence in our entertainment and reporting of news ... in particular where minors can access it.
  • Create programs, much like those created against smoking, to change attitudes about violence in our society.

Haakon

Norway has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world. Research that, it's pretty easy to confirm.

Recall that madman in Norway in 2011 killing 77 people with guns?

So some of the toughest gun laws in the world, yet it didn't stop that guy. I'm all for trying to stop senseless violence, but if you want to reduce it, let's work on the actual problem and lets produce solutions that WILL work, rather than solutions that make people "feel better" and then produce no results.

Since you have brought Norway and our gun laws into this, let me give you some more FACTS.

Let's first adress this act of terrorism that lead to the killing of 77 people, 69 with guns and 7 in a bombing of a government building, housing the prime ministers office. This was (admitted in the trial) an act of terrorism planned over 9 years, including spending several years going through the only channels to legally purchase a gun here, namely being a regular member of a gun club and applying to the Police to have a gun licence (for a handgun) and the same process for a rifle (hunting licence + Police approval).

He also started a farming company and rented a farm for over a year just to be able to legally buy large amounts of fertilizer (without causing suspicion) in order to build a bomb (same kind as Timothy McVeigh used to kill and injure almost a 1000 people in Oklahoma).

A committed terrorist spending almost a decade planning an attack, and doing everything in a manner not to cause any red flags to go off would be extremely difficult to stop, bombings all over the world has proven that time and time again. This was not a case of sudden anger/rage, taking any available gun and going off. This was a planned act of terrorism with the sole intent of being a PR stunt to get the attention of the world to read his manifesto that had been mailed to several news agencies minutes before the attacks started.

He also admitted the he tried to obtain guns illegally at first, but when he was unsuccessful (even travelling to eastern europe to obtain them), he chose to go through official channels to legally obtain them according to our strict gun laws. Now would he just have killed the 8 people in the bombing if he hadn't obtained the guns legally, since he could not get any illegally? Who knows..

Setting aside this act of terrorism, let's have a look at some other FACTS about guns and killings in Norway. Here is the statistics for the last 10 years, issued by the Police:
attachment.php

Of all the murders where guns were involved, all have been either in the family (domestic) or gang related. Actually when the shootings are so few, they are easy to classify, and 4 out of 5 shootings are wife killed by husband with (licenced) hunting gun. In all of recorded modern times (after WWII), there has been ONE random shooting with deadly outcome in Norway, where a innocent person opened the door of a wrong car (in order to hail a "pirate" taxi after a night out) and it turned out to be in the middle of a narcotics deal, resulting in that one man jumped out and shot him with an illegally owned gun. That is the ONE incident in all of Norway where a random bystander got shot to death. Gang related shootings occur, maybe once a year and only on Oslo, the only city in Norway with any gangs/organized crime to speak of. Being caught in the crossfire here is about the only thing you have to fear.

To put things a little in perspective, even the POLICE aren't allowed to carry guns by law! Not even in their cars, all Police guns are locked down at the police station, and are only to be taken out if the situation calls for it. In all of 2011 one shot was fired by a police gun.

These are the facts about guns in Norway, just stating the facts for now, not my personal opinions.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 113

Mainframe

Nonsense. The middle class and thus trade unions are a product of the industrial revolution.

If memory serves this country gained it's freedom and its very existence 120 or so years prior to this event. To hold that trade unions and their membership participated in the founding of this country is inane.

Prior to the industrial revolution there was no middle class to speak of. There was the wealthy and there was the poor and precious little in between.

Then the advent of mass production which required both producers and consumers of the goods being created. Hence the appearance of both the middle class and trade unions. It's unclear which might be a product of which or if their emergence was independent of each other. All three possibilities can be argued.

Regardless, trade unions have long ago served their purpose, as did buggy whips and bung starters, and remain a curious and inconvenient relic of the past. If there was not incredible power and wealth to be gained by the organizers and leaders of trade unions they long ago would have went the way of other antiques. Once the were an integral part of society, now they are a costly job killing economy strangling pestilence.

It doesn't matter a dollop of ossified wombat snot that once upon a time they filled a need. The salient question is what have you done for us lately?

Bob,
I was talking about WW2- these guys fought for our freedom then, and also, I am not talking pro or con union, I am simply stating they are hard working law abiding citizens with families and jobs, Americans. I wasn't trying to get into the union thing, I could care less about your opinion on unions, the topic is how to protect the kids, and I am just giving my solution, what is your solution? Throw it out there, America needs an answer to this problem.

Why on earth would you go on a rant about unions in this post? I was simply stating these people were not a bunch of low life thugs!

Speedsterbeast

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!

Amen

In this Texas town, children and their parents don't give much thought to safety at the community's lone school — mostly because some of the teachers are carrying concealed weapons.

Amen

http://www.officer.com/news/10844887/texas-town-allows-teachers-to-carry-guns

:thumb:

It's that mentality that will get the US from fourth in gun related deaths all the way up to the top spot globally. I know you all think you're number one in the world, so I'm sure you'll get there.
The second ammendmant was written when? The 1700s? When slavery was acceptable, woman had no rights, homosexuals were beaten to death.
Things change people. Well, at least some of us evolve anyway. More guns is definately the solution. In fact, they should give a gun to each kid on their first day of school to help reduce the murder rate.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob,
I was talking about WW2- these guys fought for our freedom then, and also, I am not talking pro or con union, I am simply stating they are hard working law abiding citizens with families and jobs, Americans. I wasn't trying to get into the union thing, I could care less about your opinion on unions, the topic is how to protect the kids, and I am just giving my solution, what is your solution? Throw it out there, America needs an answer to this problem.

Why on earth would you go on a rant about unions in this post? I was simply stating these people were not a bunch of low life thugs!

You brought up unions. It's not the members that are intrinsically low life thugs. Rather it's the organization to which they belong that is such. Much like government, a union exists only to serve itself. Any benefit accrued to its members is merely coincidental to its primary purpose.

As far as offering a solution, I have none. Other than encasing the little ankle biters in Lucite.

Not knowing what will work does not mean that it cannot be known what will not work. As far as protecting people there is an infinity of things that will not work. Grabbing guns, incarcerating potential threats, and limiting the diameter of garden hoses are all on the list of things that will not work.

To date the list of things that will work is empty, sadly enough.

CES020

Since you have brought Norway and our gun laws into this, let me give you some more FACTS.

Let's first adress this act of terrorism that lead to the killing of 77 people, 69 with guns and 7 in a bombing of a government building, housing the prime ministers office. This was (admitted in the trial) an act of terrorism planned over 9 years, including spending several years going through the only channels to legally purchase a gun here, namely being a regular member of a gun club and applying to the Police to have a gun licence (for a handgun) and the same process for a rifle (hunting licence + Police approval).

He also started a farming company and rented a farm for over a year just to be able to legally buy large amounts of fertilizer (without causing suspicion) in order to build a bomb (same kind as Timothy McVeigh used to kill and injure almost a 1000 people in Oklahoma).

A committed terrorist spending almost a decade planning an attack, and doing everything in a manner not to cause any red flags to go off would be extremely difficult to stop, bombings all over the world has proven that time and time again. This was not a case of sudden anger/rage, taking any available gun and going off. This was a planned act of terrorism with the sole intent of being a PR stunt to get the attention of the world to read his manifesto that had been mailed to several news agencies minutes before the attacks started.

He also admitted the he tried to obtain guns illegally at first, but when he was unsuccessful (even travelling to eastern europe to obtain them), he chose to go through official channels to legally obtain them according to our strict gun laws. Now would he just have killed the 8 people in the bombing if he hadn't obtained the guns legally, since he could not get any illegally? Who knows..

Setting aside this act of terrorism, let's have a look at some other FACTS about guns and killings in Norway. Here is the statistics for the last 10 years, issued by the Police:
attachment.php

Of all the murders where guns were involved, all have been either in the family (domestic) or gang related. Actually when the shootings are so few, they are easy to classify, and 4 out of 5 shootings are wife killed by husband with (licenced) hunting gun. In all of recorded modern times (after WWII), there has been ONE random shooting with deadly outcome in Norway, where a innocent person opened the door of a wrong car (in order to hail a "pirate" taxi after a night out) and it turned out to be in the middle of a narcotics deal, resulting in that one man jumped out and shot him with an illegally owned gun. That is the ONE incident in all of Norway where a random bystander got shot to death. Gang related shootings occur, maybe once a year and only on Oslo, the only city in Norway with any gangs/organized crime to speak of. Being caught in the crossfire here is about the only thing you have to fear.

To put things a little in perspective, even the POLICE aren't allowed to carry guns by law! Not even in their cars, all Police guns are locked down at the police station, and are only to be taken out if the situation calls for it. In all of 2011 one shot was fired by a police gun.

These are the facts about guns in Norway, just stating the facts for now, not my personal opinions.

Oh, I understand now. Those people are less dead than the children at Sandy Hook? Is that what you're saying?

Doesn't matter if someone planned it for decades or if they snapped and did it in 1 day, the end results are the same. Changing the laws didn't change either event. Both have left a large number of people dead.

Jim Jones killed 914 people by having them drink kool aid. Should we ban kool aid too? My point is, where there is a will, there is a way. Take every single gun off the planet. Now what? Think that'll stop people from killing people?

Let's try running an airplane into a building. Oh crap, now let's ban airplanes.

How about a the Unibomber. Either we ban packages or mailboxes, not sure which one. Doesn't matter what you do, sick people will always find a way to do horrific things to other people.

At the same time as Sandy Hook, in China, a guy stabbed 22 children in China...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/world/asia/man-stabs-22-children-in-china.html?_r=0

He didn't have a gun, yet he still hurt these children.

You can't regulate sick people's behavior. It was happening before we were alive and it'll happen after we're gone.

OldPaint

as someone who has worked with people who had a mental illness(drugs, alcohol)and just insane living habits(which they believed, there was nothing wrong with)you people who speak of mental illness like YOU are immune to it..........NEED to really step out of your bubbles and have a look in.............at what others see))))
parroting what this wacko gun nut put out there as a solution to the killing is to arm all others ...........JUST THINK ABOUT IT..... and then tell me, there is no mental illness here.
i have said that if you want to own a gun, why then cant you pass a PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION............of your mental state???? 70% of the people who now have guns...............WOULDNT PASS!!!!!!!!!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!
Such an ignorant comment.

Please explain the ignorance inherent in that statement.

Couch your explanation in simple declarative sentences. Any equivocation, any use of 'unless', 'if'', 'usually', 'typically', etc. will render any response you might make meaningless.

fmg

Please explain the ignorance inherent in that statement.

Couch your explanation using simple declarative sentences. Any equivocation, any use of 'unless', 'if'', 'usually', 'typically', etc. will render any response you might make meaningless.
WOW I am surprised someone with your intelligence has to ask that.

skyhigh

It's that mentality that will get the US from fourth in gun related deaths all the way up to the top spot globally. I know you all think you're number one in the world, so I'm sure you'll get there.
The second ammendmant was written when? The 1700s? When slavery was acceptable, woman had no rights, homosexuals were beaten to death.
Things change people. Well, at least some of us evolve anyway. More guns is definately the solution. In fact, they should give a gun to each kid on their first day of school to help reduce the murder rate

Nice end run around the Constitution. The same, is what declared all men and women equal, yet you go on to insinuate its outdated when it comes to the second amendment? So which is it?

And for you information sport.....I don't appreciate your "better than tho" condescending ignorant remarks, such as....."you all think you're number 1 in the world", and "some of us evolve".

We had an unspeakable & evil tragedy occur in Connecticut, which brought tears to my eyes every time I thought about what happened. With time, we will heal. The scars will never go away tho. What we don't need is the likes of you trying to put this great country down.

go away

BobCap

Wow

Boy does this relate to signmaking...

I see a someone that should move to Norway...

Way back when I was a kid I use to take my (yes my) 22 rifle and go hunting on a regular basis. Squirles and rabbits mostly. I have not grown up to be a mass killer.

I thought about an idea years ago tho.

Everybody gets a permit to kill one person a year. No questions asked. Tag the toe and go.

After the first year there would be a hell of a lot less ******** around. After a few years I think things would balence out.

Do I want to be one of those people killed? No. But I try not to **** anyone off.

Will I give up my hand guns or long guns if a law was passed making them illegal? What do you think. First off none of my guns are even registered...

What a life....

BTW what vinyl do you guys use to make cheep coroplast signs? (There, that keeps in on topic...:)

PS: Skyhigh I like your photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

skyhigh

attachment.php

How about this FACT.
Norway has a population equal to that of Colorado.
In 2010 Colorado had 24 murders, while norway had 28 (13 with a knife). In 2011 it was 28 vs 34, again Norway leading the way. (17 with a knife......and not including the 77 killed in the terrorist attack)

Kinda lets the air out of your facts.

Last edited:

Bly

I'm just a smartarse foreigner but it seems this cartoon should be kept on hand.. for y'know.. just in case..

attachment.php

Attachments

• TMW2012-12-19colorKOS.jpg
    TMW2012-12-19colorKOS.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 103

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
If there is an armed guard or police officer in a school...what happens if he goes to break up a fight...and one of the kids gets him into a position and his weapon is compromised? All of a sudden....the student has a gun and is not in complete control of his faculties. ....anger, emotions....adrenaline... What then??? He shoots the person he was fighting with and its the guard's fault for loosing control of his weapon. Where does it end???

Status
Not open for further replies.