• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the operating environment is not appropriate for versaworks

Computer crashed, and now a pop up window tells us the operating environment is not appropriate for versaworks

What do we do? We have several prints that require cutting from Versaworks

* computer has also been restarted after returning from crash*

EDIT * SOLVED *
Somehow, after downloading updaters like crazy yesterday that didn't touch it, an updater was downloaded and used this morning and the program ran like nothing had ever happened...
Roland rep had never heard of the issue before, so they were glad it was solved.

Last edited:

garyroy

You might get more help if you posted a few more details.
Let's start with your operating system, Window 7, 10, 11??
Design software, Illustrator, Corel, other??
VersaWorks, what verion 4.2, 5.2, 6??
What printer are you running, SP, VP, VS, VG, SG, VF?? Firmware version??
Age of printer, operating environment? Air conditioned or ambient temps?

You might get more help if you posted a few more details.
Let's start with your operating system, Window 7, 10, 11??
Design software, Illustrator, Corel, other??
VersaWorks, what verion 4.2, 5.2, 6??
What printer are you running, SP, VP, VS, VG, SG, VF?? Firmware version??
Age of printer, operating environment? Air conditioned or ambient temps?
Windows 10, Corel, Versa Works 6 - I cannot recall which version. Running an XR-640 that is about 3 years old. Airconditioned office with humidity temp control gauge.

Another program on the computer caused it to freeze and so it was shut down. When the computer was restarted the dialogue box read "operating environment is not appropriate for versaworks" with a link to an install downloader. The computer was restarted again to see if that would remedy, and when that didn't, the download instructions were followed, and conditions still did not change.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a shot in the dark but check your computer system specs. Specifically I would check the available memory. If it is anything different than what it should be or is anything other than an even number, you might have a failing memory stick. I'm thinking maybe the computer crashed because of a failed memory stick and now when Versaworks tries to boot, it doesn't have enough memory. It's a wild guess but I've seen crazier things.

Somehow, after downloading updaters like crazy yesterday that didn't touch it, an updater was downloaded and used this morning and the program ran like nothing had ever happened...
Roland rep had never heard of the issue before, so they were glad it was solved.

spooledUP7

Since the "Solved" solution was not explicit with instructions I will list the operations that I did to resolve this problem.​

• Created a backup by renaming the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks folder to C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.old (Note: you may have to enable hidden folder view if it's not already enabled, also, substitute "c:/" to whatever drive your installation is on )
• Uninstalled VersaWorks and any accompanying software (No restart was necessary although not a bad idea if you ask me)
• Turned off all antivirus monitoring (I think the aftermarket virus detectors may be the culprit to this problem, but I'm just guessing)
• Reinstalled VersaWorks (6.14.0 is what I had on hand)
• Launched VersaWorks to verify installation was successful (It was in my case)
• Setup printer using the discover button
• Ran VersaWorks Update from preferences| Roland@NET menu (Got stuck in my case)
• Used the Updater from the original error message URL link (Worked, bringing up to Version 6.15.0)
• Manually setup personal RIP preferences including general settings and specific Queue settings (I did not reload any files from within the Roland DG VersaWorks folder because my setups were simple. The backup folder was a "Just in case" for me)

IF you have more complicated settings, and rather transfer them over to the new installation then I will provide the following untested procedures as a guideline. If a more qualified person can expand upon, or correct the following then please do so, otherwise proceed forward at your own risk.​

Close VersaWorks (task manager/end task if need be)
Create another backup of the fresh Roland DG VersaWorks folder by copying it to your desktop for quick access. If shit goes south then you will want this folder to get back to zero (you probably wont need it but better to be safe than sorry).
For the less methodical and hope for the best procedure:
Rename the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks to C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.bak folder
Then rename the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.old folder (from the steps above) back to C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks
Run VersaWorks
If everything is good to go then you're done
If the shit hit the fan then rename the folder back to the ".old" and rename the ".bak" version by deleting the ".bak" so that the folder is just Roland DG VersaWorks
Then copy (copy, not move) C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.old/Versaworks/Settings folder into the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks/Versaworks folder overwriting the existing folder
Then copy (copy, not move) C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.old/Versaworks/Profiles folder into the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks/Versaworks folder overwriting the existing folder
Then copy (copy, not move) C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks.old/Versaworks/Printers/[your printer name]/Preset file into the C:/ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks/Versaworks/Printers/[your printer name] folder overwriting the existing file
Launch Versaworks: All good? Then you're done. If not then proceed to copy the "SystemData" folder over and relaunch the program

If that didn't work, sorry, I tried.
FYI, if you want your old jobs in the queues then copy the entire "Printers" folder over to the new "Printers" folder.

spooledUP7

An update to my above fix:
TLDR:
Turn off Anti-virus, Uninstall VW, Reinstall VW. Works 60% of the time 100% of the time.

Just had a recall to fix this issue again and since my customer's setup was pretty stock out of the box we didn't go through trying to save Queue settings or job files, and a quick Windows "Add remove programs" uninstalling Versaworks and reinstalling it was the fastest way to get back up and printing.

It seems as though the VW updater is causing something to become corrupted in the //ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks folder, and a full reinstallation seems to be the fastest way to get back and running. Again, if you want to save your jobs and possibly your queue settings then be sure to FIRST rename the old ProgramData/Roland DG VersaWorks folder prior to uninstalling the program. Once you have reinstalled, you can then reintroduce some of the folders back into the newly made folder. This is a more advanced process, so ask you knowledgeable friend or professional to do this for you.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
It's a shot in the dark but check your computer system specs. Specifically I would check the available memory. If it is anything different than what it should be or is anything other than an even number, you might have a failing memory stick. I'm thinking maybe the computer crashed because of a failed memory stick and now when Versaworks tries to boot, it doesn't have enough memory. It's a wild guess but I've seen crazier things.
i was thinking, if one of two memory chips went bad, or needed to be reseated

RoyRufus

I received this message yesterday after updating VersaWorks.
I kept trying to reinstall with no luck.
I think I didn't have enough space on my C drive.
Today I made space. Uninstalled Versaworks anten reinstalled it.
And now it is working fine.