• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Urge to purge: Old CDs

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Every once in a while, I get in one of those moods to "clean house" and simplify.

Today's topic of concern is that big box of CDs that's been collecting dust. I want to copy them all onto an external drive and then give them the big heave-ho...everything except OEM software and family photos.

I plan to make a second backup copy on another drive.

So...am I attempting something foolish, or should I be content to put up with another bulky box in the office?

I've only had one or two occasions when a CD failed, but I think the data is better off on a hard disk.

Any and all input welcome.

Thanks,

JB

njshorts

you're storing two copies? rip em to ISO and chuck the CDs... i do the same thing every year or so.

SignBurst PCs

you're storing two copies? rip em to ISO and chuck the CDs... i do the same thing every year or so.

+1.. rip em to ISO, then if you need them, run them from a virtual CD/DVD drive. No need to burn another copy, ever. Of course, I would always backup my ISO just as I would any digital file.

I would back them up to an external harddrive and also a remote server space. I haven't had good luck with CDs... my pitbull seems to always find them (non-work related of course)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
iso is a direct image of a disc in a binary format.

Thank you for the insight. But how is this any better than a file that has been copied to a hard disk?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage//

Looks good, and is half price until midnight tonight (Oct. 31st). My new computer (work station) arrives next week. Can I purchase it now, store it on an external drive until my new system gets here?

Jim

signage

I have CD for my version, I am not sure how they are doing this sale! Contact them I do not see why you can't!