• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

There is a FARO in my future!

The Hobbyist

Today, I jumped in with both feet. :eek:

http://www.faro.com/en-us/products/metrology/measuring-arm-faro-scanarm/overview

I rode up on my Gold Wing (hint: BRRRRR!!!!) to meet with a FARO Technologies representative.

The NextEngine scanner I purchased a couple of months ago works, but it is just too slow for my needs. I will probably sell it to someone who wants an entry level 3D scanner. I added the auto-rotation table to the original unit, so now it is better than it was when I purchased it and it DOES scan just as advertised. I quickly discovered that for what I want to do, the NextEngine scanner will not meet the requirements of size and speed.

Anyway, after meeting with the FARO man, I rode to my bank and took out a personal loan to cover the costs of the FARO ES Probe, 12-foot 7-Axis arm and tripod that I purchased for an amazing price. These are factory refurbished demo units that they sell at the end of every year at intense discounts. They carry the identical warranty as a new unit. I won't post the price I paid here, but suffice it to say, the savings were nothing less than massive! :rock-n-roll: The company has a few units left, and then in 2016, the prices jump back up to full retail.

The items will arrive shortly, but they will sit unopened while I am in Commiefornia taking care of other business. I can't wait to get home in the second week of January and start using this amazing scanner. Believe it or not, it is going to work with my Samson 510 table!

I bought the ES probe, not the HD probe. So I get 8 points per mm instead of 13 points per mm, and I cannot scan shiny black things.

Gene@mpls

Hi Joe (I know you from the 3dsignforum)- pretty HDuty for a hobbyist- do you intend to do scanning for hire? I would think
there is a market for that. Good luck Gene

The Hobbyist

I am always for hire! This is just a hobby shop. I don't have an established business YET. I am playing with this name and concept now ...

http://www.aguyintown.com

I am working toward that in the first part of 2016 perhaps. Yes, it is quite an investment, but it gels well with the other tools and machines I have, so I decided to get a good, professional 3D scanner.

I have lots of ideas for it, including forensic scans for the Sheriff's department crime lab, memorial face scans of the recently deceased, Halloween props (unrelated ... really... :rolleyes: ) and taking small figurines and turning them into lawn art, fountains, signs, etc., as well as scanning motorcycle tanks and fenders and creating glove-fit accessories for them. I am sure there are lots of good uses for such a device.

I am modifying my CNC tables to have six or ten inches of Z-axis travel, so carving HDU foams should be easy with a good scan that is sliced up to fit the sheets of foam material. I think I see a 20' T-Rex in my future! :rock-n-roll: