• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

They're takin our JOBs!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me

CNC bead rolling - extreme addition. Pretty amazing stuff.
We've come a long way.
Back in the 70's or early 80's I was working in my dad's body shop, a Mazda/Ford Courier came in with the passenger side door caved in. No one had a new or used door and it would have taken months to get one in. Bodyman (from the Philipines) took the outer skin off the door and straightened the inner framing. Handcut ( no stomp shear just tin snips) a blank from a galvanized 4x8 - hand formed all the body lines and cup for the door handle, using a hammer and a few body tools, folded all the edges back over the inner frame and tacked everything back up using an oxy-acetylene torch and steel rod. When it was painted and done, I couldn't tell it from the driver's door. I'm sure it wasn't Rolls Royce-level hand-forming body panels, but it was good enough for a wrecked Mazda and done fast.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Can't even fathom what the price tag would be once it's ready for release into the market. Would be a game changer for sheet metal fabbing into crazy shapes for one-off things like signage. Program & go.

I grew up in body shops, spent most of my younger years saving parts rather than replacing, replicating what's no longer available. I'd rather see the true craftsman making the door skin too.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Can't even fathom what the price tag would be once it's ready for release into the market. Would be a game changer for sheet metal fabbing into crazy shapes for one-off things like signage. Program & go.

I grew up in body shops, spent most of my younger years saving parts rather than replacing, replicating what's no longer available. I'd rather see the true craftsman making the door skin too.

I kinda get the impression that the cost would be prohibitive for making signs / design elements on those things.

unclebun

Why does every video have to be 90% showing people talking about something and 10% actually showing the thing they are talking about?
Because they are aiming for the optimal length video so the algorithms push it on more viewers, and to have more length of video in which to insert paying ads.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Bet the hammer and dolly is faster than programming that thing and the guy running the hammer is cheaper than the guy running the computer

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I saw that when the video first came out. My thought was the companies who wrap fleets of vans as they leave the factory could utilise a one sided version of this to apply all the graphics - squeegie or gloved silicon finger in to all the recesses, heated, post heated, dead perfect pressure in all the right places.

Destin is a talker, but imparts good info for more of the time than many. His videos on photographic film production at Kodak were interesting, and let you see why anything with an optically clear polyester base costs as much as it does.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Would rather see a video of the Phiłłipino guy making the new Mazda door.
Well , no smartphones back then with mega-pixel video recording and I was too poor to have a camcorder. OSHA had not yet docked at the port in their wooden sailing ships (as part of Magellan's fleet) so our guy was most likely wearing slippers and using a pair of knockoff Ray-Bans for goggles. I miss those times.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I would have those machines in a sound proof room. That high pitched screeching noise would drive me absolutely crazy.