• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thin vinyl good adhesion

rnjgraphics

I have searched a bit, and can't find what I am looking for. I am cutting some small graphics for car windows and I wonder, in your experience, how thin can you cut the lettering and still have good adhesion? I am worried if there is not enough of the vinyl, that it might come off easier. Is there a general rule to follow for thickness of the lines? I am using Oracal 651.

Thanks.

rnjgraphics

Thanks for the reply, but I guess I should use the word narrow, instead of thin. How narrow can I cut an outline, and have it adhere well. I have an outline that is super narrow, I'd say less than a mm, will it rub off easily? Should I thicken it a bit to stick better? I was able to weed it at such a small size, but still wonder if it will come off.

Thank again!

OlsonSigns601

Also depends on how thin you can cut...

I remember back when we had a Suma I remember being able to cut thinner and finer than I can on my Q42 Vinyl Express (Graphtec? Don't know why they don't just put Graphtec on it)

I don't remember the Suma model we had as it melted in the fire but it didn't have all the bells as the new one but I remember it cutting smaller lettering like times new roman much better than our new one.

My guys tell me 751 weeds much better than 651 for smaller lettering.

Tim Aucoin

I've found that you can go pretty thin. For comparison sake, I wouldn't go below say a 16 point type... even that is getting small for a vehicle! I really hate when the graphic goes to a sharp point. I try to tell folks that the point might stick to begin with, but if a weasel farts on it, it's gonna lift!! :smile:

Best bet... do some tests on your own vehicle. Cut a few different width lines, put them on and see how they do over time.

xxaxx

I've found that you can go pretty thin. For comparison sake, I wouldn't go below say a 16 point type... even that is getting small for a vehicle! I really hate when the graphic goes to a sharp point. I try to tell folks that the point might stick to begin with, but if a weasel farts on it, it's gonna lift!! :smile:

Best bet... do some tests on your own vehicle. Cut a few different width lines, put them on and see how they do over time.

Have a lot of farting weasels in your neck of the woods? :Big Laugh

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

The reason sharp points and even square corners are to be avoided is simple three dimensional geometry.

Consider that vinyl represents varying width, the X and Y direction, but a constant thickness, the Z direction. That being the case when the material comes to a point there necessarily exists a point [no pun intended, 'point' meaning 'place' in this context] that the material is thicker [Z direction] that is is wide [X and Y directions]. At this point or somewhere near to it exists the place where the amount of adhesive is incapable of holding the weight of the vinyl.

This is why round corners far outlast square corners and why, especially on vehicles, all corners should be rounded even if ever so slightly.

HillHouseGraphics

I do a ton of work for a pretty famous sailboat maker here and one of their logos tapers down from a quarter inch to a thread. I do it with Oracal 651 and have no issues. Since we do on average of 250 per run, I have designed the file to have strategically placed cut lines for easier weeding at the very thin parts. I cut with a graphtec 54" cutter and very often do super small type and super thin lines with it and Oracal 651.

TammieH

Has anyone else ever weeded tiny letters/graphics after application? It really works well, if possible weed the insides of the letters prior to application though.