• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Things to make your kids from work?

We work with digital printers plotters and other neat stuff...what kind of things can we make our kids or wives to bring home?

Just off the top of my head, I made a pizza for my 2 year old out of scrap alumacore from a shaped sign..he loved it but it was kinda dangerous...

Made the wife nice little sugar and flour decals...also wrapped her laptop in with some trippy illustration

yes we can make stickers and posters and such, but what kind of crafty things have you made at work?? I am looking for ideas...still working on my giant vinyl ball

Bonus points for scrap usage...

Good idea on the backing paper...Would removable adhesive vinyl pull off paint from a wall? Saw the linked post below about the tricked out wagon...good idea also

2B

made a custom white board, with each section being an image of each person so no confusion on who has what to do

also use the empty cores from vinyl rolls to make mazes for the ferrets

amw

Longtime Members
We have a 17 1/2 yr old, 6 yr old, and a 15 month old...
They make (the 17 yr old will do most of the work) signs and banners for family events/partys, birthday cards out of coro and scrap vinyl, posters, folder wraps, shirts, they use scrap as a lint roller, magnets, etc.

Marsha

Bigdawg

Just Me
Let's see....

we've made wreaths from scrap vinyl.. a pin-the-tail-on-the-pig game on coro... book covers... a christmas tree (from scrap vinyl - my daughter was feeling creative with her kids!) and a dry-erase scoreboard

lexsigns

havent done it yet but going to make my daughters name out of signfoam or cintra and maybe some animals for her wall- the poems in vinyl on the walls are in big now- when I fiigure out which to use I will do some of that somewhere..

IronHawk

~ Scrap banner vinyl endrolls work great for covering the floor for marker drawing and coloring afternoons.

~ Shipping tubes for said vinyl make great tree trunks, indoor slides if placed on an incline. (think couch or chair), tunnels for hot wheels, etc...

~ My kids have decorated large and small jars with shapes and images cut from vinyl using stencils to draw them first. We have everything from candy to LEGO bricks to money stored in those jars. They get pretty creative with those. :cool1:

~ Empty shipping boxes can be reused and decorated with vinyl and turned into a whole host of things when the imaginations get going. We have a napkin holder in our pantry made out of an old square cereal box and a LOT of vinyl scraps.

Good idea on the backing paper...Would removable adhesive vinyl pull off paint from a wall? Saw the linked post below about the tricked out wagon...good idea also

On the removable adhesive vinyl question, I know that IJ180 will pull paint off, however there's a 6 mil Ultra Removable by Arlon that would work fine for that.

SD&F

I must be sooo uncreative. I made two custom sandblasted signs for my husbands workshop and my horse barn with our names on them. Mine had my name and a horse and his had his nickname(BEAR) and a ferocious bear. I think I have lost my creativity when it comes to thinking of anything els but sings....go figure?

in the past I have pen plotted onto paper for giant 'coloring book' pages,my daughter loves those. Customize stripes / graphics / names / signs for bikes,cars,sporting equipment...anything to cover up brand names I wuld rather read my family name on my kid's bicycle than a brand name/advertisement...of course door names,or room decorations for kid's rooms. Front door family name or mailbox name as well as address as long as you are not concerned with the security of putting your name out like that. Scrap vinyl is great for kid's arts & crafts they love it...customizing & repair or radio controlled toys...especially airplanes...vinyl fixes all kinds of stuff on remote airplanes :)

DRPSignsNGrafix

Last thing I did was took the A and the E of a channel letter sign that we took down that was getting scrapped. Checked to make sure the LED's were good. Replaced bad ones with some used ones and there now in the play room on the wall for them. The initials. Gotta find a "&" next to go in between it.

signswi

Don't like bringing stuff home from work; too many industrial chemicals in vinyl, heavy metals in solvent ink, etc.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
my grand nephews room has a massive comic book pages he can color, erase, and write on with dry erase markers. his 'play room' is lined with them on the wall out of cintra, dmvla4 and dry erase vinyl ... took me a while to draw those pages too.

wife gets what she wants (large cnc letters to go on the walls, cnc'd out a custom 'curtain' out of colored sintra that I attached the panels with chainmail links, vinyl decals on the walls, covered her car in stars, custom house numbers, etc, etc, etc.)

mopar691

I made a pretty big vinyl ball for my then 14 year old son, he thought it was the coolest thing in the world. 2 more pieces on there and it would of not fit thru the door.

I actually think its still might be in his closet now that he is off to college maybe I can throw it away.

Secretly I have always wanted to get a big hot wire knife and cut it in half to see all the colors.

Last edited:

FHG123

I made a Spongebob Halloween costume 3 years ago that the kid's won't allow me to throw away... Pin the tail on a Jaguar, Lot's of shapes for card crafts. And decorated my daughters room as a small European city with paint and vinyl.

Suz

My 4-year old Grandson loves the big fire department logos I have screenprinted, there are extra samples around the shop that I no longer need for certain designs. He wants me to cut them up and sew them into little shirts that will fit him. I'm on it! Of course I have a serger and all the sewing machines, so why not?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
For kids I think handcuffs and shackles might be a boon.

I do admit to making a stick horse with the head of a warthog. I printed the head and its mirror image reasonably life size, slapped them on both sides of some Coroplast, cut out the two-sided image on a band saw, and fastened it to a length of PVC pipe.