• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This is pretty great...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This is not my work, just wasn't sure where else to post.

I was installing here today and thought this was pretty awesome. The entire 923' long skybridge (where the red arrows are on the left) and the main building (starts in the first pic where the red arrows are on the right) and ends in the 2nd pic, has a tree graphic spread across the entire glass surface.

You would think the lighter portions would be frosted vinyl or something and the darker areas would be the glass. Turns out it's entirely digitally printed donor names on the glass. The white areas are names using bolder lettering and the darker areas are names using a narrower lettering. There are over 25,000 names.

01.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 213

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Are you sure it wasn't etched directly into the glass? IMHO, it would be more cost effective to etch instead of having to maintain the print as it weathered.

JB

James Burke

Yep...that is way cool.

So...I did a bit of google sleuthing, and they are etched which makes total sense to me. For the work of doing the vinyl (either cut or printed), creating a stencil and etching is just one tiny step forward to total permanence.

https://www.parklandhospital.com/ne...ers-sky-bridge-at-parkland-connects-two-g-345

From the architect:

https://www.datumengineers.com/our-work/mike-a-meyers-sky-bridge-at-parkland-hospital.html

Really cool technical stuff from the architect:

https://datum.imgix.net/projects/mi...Healthy_Connection-reprint_(1).compressed.pdf

JB

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The new Parkland building is really neat architecture. My daughter was real sick years ago and we stayed at Children's which is next door. Was in and out of there for about a year and we watched as they built that building.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Are you sure it wasn't etched directly into the glass? IMHO, it would be more cost effective to etch instead of having to maintain the print as it weathered.

JB

It was digitally printed by Oldcastle using a DipTech printer with ceramic inks.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
That is awesome. You can bet that's very under appreciated.

That's the first thing that came to mind....not only the generosity of the donors but the enormous amount of work that went into it that many or most will barely glance at.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The new Parkland building is really neat architecture. My daughter was real sick years ago and we stayed at Children's which is next door. Was in and out of there for about a year and we watched as they built that building.

It's such a compete opposite of the old building

James Burke

Here's a few videos of the action....lick your chops...this is crazy amazing.

And for a "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" look behind the scenes:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It really is amazing. Especially given the reputation of the old Parkland. Talk about a complete overhaul....

C

ColoPrinthead

Wow, that printer is awesome, it almost makes me want to quit my job and go find a new one where I could work with it.