• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This was a first for me.....

visual800

6 weeks ago I went to a town bout 1.5 hours from where I love to do an install. I got a permit and a business license for this 1 job that took 1 hour to do. They were nice and I was able to do it all via email.

Yesterday in the mail I get a notice from the County that the town was located in informing me I also need to get a county license and went on to explain, "We are sorry if you were not informed of this." What the hell? It said that a probate judge would determine the cost of the business license I would pay.

I have never in all these years got a license and then the county also wanted a license! Are these damn municipalities getting that damn desperate. . I trashed their request, if you are so unorganized as to hit me up 6 weeks later asking for more money you need to rethink your program

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

WildWestDesigns

I have never in all these years got a license and then the county also wanted a license! Are these damn municipalities getting that damn desperate. . I trashed their request, if you are so unorganized as to hit me up 6 weeks later asking for more money you need to rethink your program

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Most of the cities in this area (Mid TN) require both if your doing business within the city limits. And this area is mainly comprised of 3 counties. There is one county that I don't think requires it (and that county is mainly rural, the other 2 are either more city then rural or all city).

If you have a home based business required to have a permit for that as well.

This isn't new around this area. At least these various licenses have been around here for 24 yrs, so if it's desperation here, it's desperation that's been around a long time.

As far as the 6 wks late request, things take time process all this type of stuff when it comes to cities/counties/state government. 6 wks is actually fairly quick on something like this. Usually its much more glacial for things like this.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, not an additional permit for the particular install, but a license to do business there. Yes, here too, that is quite common and a well known fact for decades. It's kinda like the 800-dig deal. These municipalities are not gonna hold your hand and ask you questions you should already know. They can't help you're not from the area and don't have a license to do anything, legally. It certainly sucks, but it is a part of doing and knowing business. At leaat, now you know to check into that when you go outside of your normal radius.

CanuckSigns

I thought the USA was supposed to be more business friendly! I've never had to get anything like this, I have a business licence with the provincial and federal government, I've never heard of a local government requiring a permit to do business in their town, except for a sign permit.

Crazy times!