• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts about Mentoring newbies...

SurfaceSigns

The irony of this thread is that you have a number of posters saying they wouldn't be willing to mentor a fellow peer, on a sign networking site that is based on discussing the sign business and helping each other out! If that is your attitude, why are you even here?

I think we all tend to forget that at one point, none of us knew anything about the sign business. Some of us learned from others, some of us learn on our own, but I have no doubt that all of us have received at least SOME free, helpful advice over the years. Would it really hurt to pass that on?

As I mentioned in my post above, I've been out of the game for over a decade, and things have changed. I'd have no problem working for free or buying someone a lunch just to get another point of view on the industry. Frankly, I don't care who their customers are, what sells best for them, etc. I'd just like to learn the different parts of the trade while getting to know like minded people. Isn't that the reason boards like Signs 101 exist?

The other thing to keep in mind is that networking or mentoring is seldom one sided. A fresh mind may see things that you have/are missing.

10sacer

I have to agree with Fred. I have been in graphic arts industries from screenprint and offset litho and now into digital inkjet for over 10 years.

I have a very good relationship with a nice network of varying print providers in the general Charlotte area.

I have to agree, to a point - that some facets of this industry are becoming cutthroat - race car graphics is a good example. In this area there are about 5 really good shops that do a majority of the teams and they all just beat each other up for a limited 42 car market and no one is making what they used to make.

I go to dinner regularly with the Division Manager of one of my competitors. We talk shop, people, materials, projects, etc. and he knows that if he mentions a certain account that I will not go after it because I value the relationship more than the account.

Its sad that this type of symbiotic relationship is getting eroded - because it tended to be the norm in this industry rather than the exception. Now, certain printshops desperate for jobs have eroded the marketplace by dropping prices to silly levels for no other real reason than they don't know how to sell.

I will help anyone of upstanding character with any issue they may be having whether it be answering questions or pulling them out of a fire if they get in a pinch. We all need help every now and then and if you don't have a strong network of people who can help you - then you are going to be in a bad spot.

If I get burned by someone - I rectify with myself that if they treated me that way - then they are probably not being honorable with their customers, either.

For Arthur, go to ISA or SGIA and take seminars. Subscribe to Wide Format Imaging, Big Picture, Digital Graphics, Sign Industry and Sign Business. Most are free. There are others but they all tend to write the same stories.

My two cents...

Monsterkidz

Everyone has got to eat. I don't want all the business, just my fair share. I constantly work with 3 other shops in my area. We bounce ideas off each other & talk shop all the time.

They've lost jobs to me, I've lost jobs to them, it happens. I broke my hand earlier this year and one of my competitors did all my installations for a month, until I got better. I look up to this guy a lot as a mentor.

SignManiac

I've always had an open door policy to anyone needing help, but only a few have ever taken me up on it. I have no idea why, I think I intimidate others without even realizing it. I'm pretty damn good and earned my keep the hard way.

I'm pretty secure in my unanimous opinion of myself, so if I can help I will. I've only been effed over a few times, and I don't really worry about that. I know they won't be coming back around, so I got off cheap.

About ten years ago, I offered an accelerated sign making course where total strangers wanting to start their own home based sign making business, paid me $5k for a week long intensive course that nearly fried their brains with information overload. But when they left after those intensive forty hours, they knew more about the sign business than some others, who had been in the business for twenty years or more.

Yes I paid dearly over a lifetime of blood sweat and tears to learn my craft so I'm not totally sure about giving away free what I paid dearly to learn. I had zero help from anyone else and learned the very hard way. Everyone today, wants to just hit the easy button today!

I'll help you out if I can, but you sure as hell better show me some minuscule effort on your part and when I tell you how something should be done, done question my authority!!!

777signs

I invited a young but talented designer to come over to help me with some designs. Just watching him, I learned how to work with the bezier tools, cut outs, overlaps and so forth. I began using LXI apprentice. I purchased a new machine and got the LXI Master Plus. This program has way more features that I know. I also learned how to design a wrap, at least how to measure and create templates to do so. There is not a book or program that teaches you what each tool in this software does and how to use it, if there is, I just have not found it. There have been several times where I shut my computer off frustrated because I couldn't figure something out. Just having a person you can call, or visit, and say, Hey, How do you do this? I have been a professional photographer(out of practice now except for doing my racing photographing) and every summer, I would get an intern for 2 weeks to ride with me. I was a news photographer, so they learned everything I did, including dealing with pissed off DEA agents that grab your camera. The look on their face when I told the DEA guy off, and he turned and gave me his card and told me to call him in 2 hours, that was priceless(you don't TOUCH my camera)!!
I still have photographers come to the race track to work with me. I will even let them use my equipment and take pictures so I can take a break. I hire them to work for me when I want to race one of my cars.
We all learned from someone, whether it was working for free, taking out the trash, sweeping floors, whatever.
I believe if you guys do not want to share your information, that is great, your secrets die with you. Those that do want to share, those are the ones who are helping the sign business grow. To those of you who embrace the idea of helping people learn, you guys are the ones who build the sign business, not just YOUR business. On that note, I have respect for all of you in this business, and you have to do what you have to do. My goal is to build my business, but not run it. I have too many other businesses that I have to deal with on a daily basis. I am building this business to hire younger, talented designers to grow the business and have something for my future. But, in any business that I get involved in, I learn and try to be able to understand every aspect of the business.
SOrry for the long pst, just finally got a few minutes to respond to all the posts. Thanks to everyone, for or against mentoring, thanks for your responses.

SlightlyChilled

I would love to help out a shop sweep and clean what ever needs to be done. I have a full time job but have a spot in my heart for vinyl signs. It all started with the Oakley window stickers when I was a small boy. If there is some one by me that would like a hand on fridays from time to time let me know....