• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts about selling on etsy for side work?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes, but instead of sending that q1 check on Monday you could invest it into something that will make you money by next year when taxes are due
LOL this is the exact reason why you are supposed to make quarterly payments. 1 dip or bad investment and say bye bye to that money that you owe the IRS. Same goes with weekly payroll deposits. Do you know how many people out there have squandered their employees withholdings by doing exactly this?

Billct2

personally I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of small sales like that, but I can see where it could work. There's often room to run extra small decals on many jobs. If you have the design they could be printed for the cost of the ink alone. I'll sometimes run small versions of the clients logo while doing a big sign and give them as a extra

Last edited:

Notarealsignguy

personally I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of small sales like that, but I can see where i could work. Theres often room to run extra small decals on many jobs. If you have the design they could be printed for the cost of the ink alone. I'll sometimes run small versions of the clients logo while doing a big sign and give them as a extra
hard hat decals, half the time theyre more excited about those than they are of the sign itself

netsol

The craziest thing is when people are excited about a tax refund.... Congrats on loaning the government money interest free.
From 1913 til 1941tax year, yOU WROTE A CHECK, at end of year for your taxes
Spending for WW2 was so high, taxes were so high, there was no 1942 tax year (on paper)
they started WITHOLDING. For 1943 tax year. You couldn't fund the monstrosity the federal government became, waiting for a checkat te endvof the year. You don't miss what you don't see, and can never touch.
Years of convincing you the refund was likea gift (BRILLIANT!) from the government

netsol

LOL this is the exact reason why you are supposed to make quarterly payments. 1 dip or bad investment and say bye bye to that money that you owe the IRS. Same goes with weekly payroll deposits. Do you know how many people out there have squandered their employees withholdings by doing exactly this?
Did you ever see the OLD black and white movie about lou costello?
When tax rate was 91% he lost everything, because he couldn't pay
He wasa multi millionaire when people worked for$20/wk.

Besides cash flow, the other reason we went to witholding tax payments
IT DIDN'T FEEL RIGHT to have a beloved movie star lose everything and be threatened with as much time in prison as AL CAPONE. there isalways that danger that people will realize how badly they are beong treated.

ON ANOTHER NOTE that is why ronald reagan (life long democrat) became a republican
Highly paid actor, but the 91% for us, 9% for you split stuck in his craw

Notarealsignguy

Did you ever see the OLD black and white movie about lou costello?
When tax rate was 91% he lost everything, because he couldn't pay
He wasa multi millionaire when people worked for$20/wk.

Besides cash flow, the other reason we went to witholding tax payments
IT DIDN'T FEEL RIGHT to have a beloved movie star lose everything and be threatened with as much time in prison as AL CAPONE. there isalways that danger that people will realize how badly they are beong treated.

ON ANOTHER NOTE that is why ronald reagan (life long democrat) became a republican
Highly paid actor, but the 91% for us, 9% for you split stuck in his craw
I could take either side of the high vs low tax. The highest bracket isn't for all of your income, it is just on whatever is above a certain amount. I also don't feel sorry for people that squander their money, there are plenty of lower income people that live a financially stable life and also very wealthy people that go broke from their own stupidity.
I think that an argument can be made that higher progressive tax rates can actually help shore up and spur the economy beyond our basic dollar turning crap that we have right now. We're running on retail and construction but there is very little substance anymore. A higher tax rate would encourage the haves to invest more in their own business infrastructure aka in house manufacturing. If they risk losing a large chunk of money by trying to hold on to it, then that would factor into the cost of domestic manufacturing and bring it on par with the cost of cheaper overseas production. The rise of durable goods production in the USA came at a time of high taxation, the loss of it came when there was little incentive left for the mega wealthy to continue investing in it here because of the tax changes under Reagan. Why spend extra money to produce here when you can offshore it and stick that savings in your pocket? The country can't survive on warehouse and retail jobs plus it is a gigantic national security threat which we are currently starting to see. I'm not arguing at all, just pointing out another way to look at things.