• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Thoughts on buying a used HP L26500

oldanvil

I have a screen printing shop and I am looking to buy a Latex printer to add for printed heat transfers, stickers and banners. I've been looking at used printers to get into this with a small investment.

I have been trying to find a current generation model but I'm finding what seems to be great deals on the L26500. After a little research I find that it is EOSL so that's why the deals are there.

Would I be making a mistake if I picked one of these up and got a spare set of print heads and stocked up on ink while it's still available? If I could get a couple years out of it I'd be happy for the smaller investment.

Is this crazy?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you can get it for dirt cheap (<$1000) with few sets of ink, RIP and maintenance cartridges, why not. Just make sure it's in 100% working condition.
If not, forget it. It's not worth it if you have no experience and a spare parts machine available.

I would rather just look out for any L300 series printer. For those you can get ink and spare parts for many years to come.
You should be able to find one for $3000-5000 depending on the model.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Forget heat transfers.
I've not had a shirt with a digitally printed heat transfer that lasted.
Either the ink fades, or the transfer peels - way too soon - as well as feeling clammy like thick plastisols.

We still use out L26500, and have 30 cartridges & 10 heads spare, so hope to get my money's worth before it goes to heaven... but the advice above is good.

There IS a learning curve however, and no short-cuts to the curve.
You WILL need a RIP with the machine. No cheap ones exist.

DPD

I have owned one for a few years. I purchased it new. The printer is in end of support. I plan on keeping mine for about another year so I purchased print heads and ink.
You will not be able to order parts and you will need third party inks. I'm expecting to use third party inks but when the parts go I'm not sure what I'll do. It's not worth repairing even if I can get the parts.

What I'm saying is you should be aware of these issues and purchase with your eyes open.

- denis

karst41

A Used L26500 can be a Mine Field of problems.
My check book has the battle scars to prove it.

There are Plenty of 315's and 360s on the market.

2 months after I bought mine the front heater went out
$2800.00 for a new one from HP
$1200 rebuilt if you can find it on eBay I lucked into one for $900
OPEN THE DOOR and CHECK THE CONNECTIONS.
There should be ZERO Brown or black marks at the connections
to the Heater. There are TWO multi colored wires connecting.
When these go bad they ARC at the connections.
Dont walk away if you see this RUN !!!!!

MAINTENANCE CARTRIDGE. These puppies are $145 each
You better buy 2 or 3 while you can
CARRIAGE BELT and ENCODER STRIP
You better buy at least 1 of each $500 bye bye
'Felts and Bushings $250 you better buy now.

Inks, Yeah Fransisco in Texas or Vlad in Canada.
Vlads Inks are Superior to HP OEM, that ol Russian knows his stuff.
printheaddoctor.com

The L26500 is a fine printer but it generates a ton of heat.

Finally You need to know that these Printers have a life expectancy of
1000 Rolls of film. At 800 Rolls these printers start pretty much done.
DONT WASTE TIME AND MONEY

The owner can easily get you the Number of Sq Ft of materials that have been run through the printer. If they tell you they do not have access to this or do not know how to get it They are LYING Period WALK AWAY. I mean it you will be sorry and regret
the loss of money and time.

By the time you get the L26500 squared away you will be damm close to $4000.

The Entry Level Printer is the L315. I see these on eBay, FaceBook Market, and Craigs list routinely.

Also know that any High Level Long Life Printing will require Lamination.

The 300 Series is a bit more durable and do not fall for HP saying Scratch resistant.

The L370 Bulk. Stay away these have issues back filling the reservoir tanks

315, 335, 365.

560 avoid these beast they are designed to rip 2 full rolls of media per day.
It is not suitable for producing small jobs a few times a week.
These are High Volume High Production Machines.

If you are printing a few small jobs a week the 335 or 315 is the better printer
for entry into roll to roll printing.

Find a 315. Set up an accounting Ledger You need to enter ALL cost
Vinyls, Inks, Maint expenses. Cleaning supplies Vinyls.
At the end of each Month Determine the Net Profit.
Set the Net Profit aside or into an Equipment Fund.

In one or two years you should easily have enough funds for a brand new printer,
by that time HP will have a 600 series latex and possibly on the 5 or Version 2
of the 600 series.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Is this true of all Latex printers or just the L26500?
I think you need to practice some self critique with this one. It definitely isn't the best printer in the world but he must have had a real bad one on his hands.
Rolls also isn't a really good measurement unit as someone could be running 1000 rolls with 14-passes while someone else is doing 6-passes. First one is using the printer twice as much.