• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thru-cutting loooong strips...How would you do it?

MikeD

This is something different than I've ever had experience with, and I'm wondering how you all handle it. The project is made up of 6"x110" rectangles that are solvent printed on 30"x150' rolls of vinyl, laminated and finally through-cut. The cut needs to be clean and preferably all the way through. 110" on a friction fed cutting all the way through seems impossible to me at this point. I did try it on a friction fed with paneling enabled, but it only "paneled" the reg mark search. When it cut, it cut the entire 110" length.
Would you use a GIANT flatbed?

Thanks for the ideas and advice-
Happy Thanksgiving!

the graphics co

how many do you need to make? Why not cut them by hand? If that isn't an option, find someone with a 10' table on a zund or similar machine.

Matt-Tastic

there are places that sell VINYL from 1/4"-6-8" wide ROLLS.

THIS. ^

If you need a special color, print, lam, roll it. then slit the entire roll, and cut the strips to length. many of your distributors should have a roll slitter, and they should do it for you without too much hassle.

MikeD

I'm looking into subbing it out to someone who owns a press for the small rolls, but in the mean time I have to produce them on JV33 54" printers. I have some flatbed plotters, but they are not big enough. I'm using some Summa friction fed plotters to kiss cut, but the through-cut makes tracking difficult; especially because the cut (for this particular job) needs to be clean and deep.
I've literally got thousands to produce. the press can handle 6"x3,000' rolls, but the converters I've been working with can't get it done in time. Eventually they will all be outsourced to this other contractor, but I will always need a way to do some in-house.
My arm is about to fall off from hand cutting 10,800" of material so far!

Anyone know of a flatbed that can cut 110", or a smaller table that can panel a job that is also through-cut?

Thanks for the insight!