• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tile Overlaps - Setting Up

tdgraphics

I have a job that is 72" wide and my printer is 52" wide, so I need to tile my job.

The job contains 2 images so what I need to do is print the large portion of the image, 52 x 60 then the remainder of the 20" of both images I want to tile onto the remainder.

I have used the Tile Icon in signlab which is fine, however the remaining 20" sections are printed one behind the other, when there is enough room to print them side by side.

As you can see in the attached image, the tiles could be printed side by side and therefor same 6 ft of material.

Can someone please tell me how to do this as the manual is not the best at explaining it.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Attachments

• signlab tile.JPG
    signlab tile.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 222

iSign

If I were doing that, I would open in Photoshop, "save as" a copy with another name, then I would "crop" down to 52" ...Then I'd do the same with the other image. Then I'd open the originals again, "save as" another name, "crop" both of them to 21" (some overlap) & then I would resize the canvas in one file to paste in the other 21" image so both cropped images are in the same file.

The other option that might even be easier, is to set the images side-by-side & use Signlab to auto tile both at once.

Rod

Setting tile overlap and spacing in SignLab

I have a job that is 72" wide and my printer is 52" wide, so I need to tile my job.

The job contains 2 images so what I need to do is print the large portion of the image, 52 x 60 then the remainder of the 20" of both images I want to tile onto the remainder.

I have used the Tile Icon in signlab which is fine, however the remaining 20" sections are printed one behind the other, when there is enough room to print them side by side.

As you can see in the attached image, the tiles could be printed side by side and therefor same 6 ft of material.

Here is how to setup tiles with overlap and spacing in SignLab:
  1. From the File menu, choose Print and Cut Setup.
  2. Click the Page Setup tab.
  3. In the Overlaps section, set the Horizontal and Vertical amount of overlap between each tile.
  4. Set the Tile spacing for the amount of white space between each tile.
  5. Click OK.
  6. From the File menu, choose Print and Cut.
  7. In the Print/Cut Toolbox, click Tile.
  8. When dragging the tile lines, note that the lines now indicate an overlap amount.
  9. Set your tiles and click Apply.
  10. The tiles are now stacked with a gap between tiles equal to the Tile spacing previously set.
For the tiles that can fit side-by-side:
  1. Click the tile to select it.
  2. Then drag that tile by its center handle to reposition.
I'm not sure why the tiles aren't being placed together automatically.

Rod at CADlink
http://www.cadlink.com

tdgraphics

Rod,

That pretty much what I did.

When I click on the part image tile, it boxes out both the parts as it they are welded / grouped together even though they are not.

That is the problem I am running into.

Is this something that may be sorted by 7.1?

Do you have any idea when 7.1 is due to arrive.

Also, Doug,

If I cannot get any other way of doing this, I would do as you suggested. The only thing with doing it that way is that the overlap will be different on each image. What I wanted to be able to achieve would be that a 10mm overlap is done on all images.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Neil

Rod

That pretty much what I did.

When I click on the part image tile, it boxes out both the parts as it they are welded / grouped together even though they are not.

That is the problem I am running into.

Is this something that may be sorted by 7.1?

Do you have any idea when 7.1 is due to arrive.

Hi Neil,

• I do not know when your 7.1 package will arrive. I queried the fellow that sent it, but he's apparently left on vacation.
  • I don't have a 7.0 package handly, but there does not appear to be a tiling issue in my 7.1 package.
  • I'm trying to think of any other settings issues that would prevent you from repositioning the tiles.
  • The first thing that came to mind was perhaps registration marks in combination with cut lines.
  • However, I am not under the impression that you are cutting materials.
  • After introducting registration marks as a test, I still did not have problem moving the tiles.
Regards,

Rod

tdgraphics

Rod,

I am not cutting anything in this instance.

I have shut everything down and tried again.

I have attached a part image when I click on the 'roof' image part only, but the part images of both the photos were selected.

Maybe this is a 7.0 quirk.

I think I will have to go the photoshop route as time is catching me up.

Thanks anyway for the help.

If you guys or anyone else has any ideas, post them anyway.

Neil

Attachments

• Signlab tile 1.JPG
    Signlab tile 1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 122

Neil

When you set the tiles it will set the top 2 parts as 1 tile. You need to drag from the edge to create another tile.

First select the top tile, then drag another line from the edge. Set this line in between the 2 top portions so you now have 2 tiles selected. Then when you click apply you will have 2 seperate tiles in the main preview. You can move them independently so you can stack one on top of the other.

edited to say I was assuming a landscape preview, where the 52" runs vertically and the tiles are on the top. Still works the same either landscape or portrait.

tdgraphics

Thanks,

I cropped them in photoshop and am printing them at the moment.

Once they are printed, I will try than so I know for next time.

Neil