• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tired of all these laminates shrinking down!!! Need help with a laminanate please...

0igo

I need recommendation on a good 5 year laminanate roll. A laminanate I used shrank more than 2in in less than 4 months! Have there been any problems with shrinking laminate "burning" on the ARLON 3420 or the GF CONCEPT 231/240 lines?

visual800

signs 365 has a big issue with laminate burning using their orajet products. I had to get away from those products

jayhawksigns

We have been using Arlon 3420 here without any issue that I have been made aware of. Switched to it after a similar issue, though not to that degree.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I just use Cast Lam for everything. allows for faster work flow (not changing laminate so often) and more peace of mind when products leave the shop.
Before you start thinking I'm a moron for using more expensive material when I don't have to...
The per. sq. ft. cost for the price difference is $0.40
So with that, I've streamlined production and have a non shrinking, longer lasting overlaminate on EVERYTHING.

ATD Signs

I agree with Kentucky Wraps. I do switch back and forth and it is a pain in the butt. I like the oracal 290G because it is rated for long term useage and like he said the cost difference is very little to
get some peace of mind

0igo

thank you all for the replies. i found Avery DOL 1360 for a great price online. $200 a roll of laminate. Does anyone know if that is a good lam? i searched here on signs101 and i read a few bad/good things about the lam. All posts were 2-3 years old however. Does anyone use avery Dol 1360?

0igo

it wasnt 3m. it was a roll i got from from a supplier here (wont say who) and another from signwarehouse. the one from signwarehouse got burnt in the sun. and i was almost about to buy that 3m roll till i read your post. Crazy what happened to you. hopefully they refunded you. I just found an Avery roll (DOL 1360) online for $200. im wondering if i should go with that or not.

Christian @ 2CT Media

DOL1360 is no longer in production and has been replaced by 1360Z. We never had any issues with 1360 and have used it for about 2.5 years since the issues with 3M.

FatCat

it wasnt 3m. it was a roll i got from from a supplier here (wont say who) and another from signwarehouse. the one from signwarehouse got burnt in the sun. and i was almost about to buy that 3m roll till i read your post. Crazy what happened to you. hopefully they refunded you. I just found an Avery roll (DOL 1360) online for $200. im wondering if i should go with that or not.

That doesn't sound right unless you're talking about a half roll or 30". Back when 1360 was still around I think we were paying around $350/roll for 54/150...

That said, I have high praise for Fellers Lamex brand cast material. I think we're paying about $325/roll and have had no issues. Otherwise Oracal 210 gloss is the only intermediate lam I have found that holds up longer than it is rated, the matte is OK but tends to not have as long of life.

Just my .02¢

DunbarPG

I'm not a fan of the DOL1360Z Lam. I did a graphics package on a Kia Sportage a few months ago. Avery 2105 vinyl, with DOL1360Z lam. Within a month the customer returned, and the stripe, down the flat side of the vehicle, no curve at all, had shrank about .25in, in less than a month. Vinyl and Lam shrank, leaving behind only adhesive. I started using all 3M vinyl and laminate at that point. Been pretty pleased with the 3M Envision print wrap series, but i will be switching to the IJ180mC-10 the next time I order just because it's a new cheaper option with all the qualities I need out of the Envision.

Fares Bayazeed

Look for a dealer in Canada that represents the D & K Line of cold laminates if you are looking for full coverage - Floor Graphic Dual mounting Adhesive Clear 3" core 38"x200' Part #FIC38200 Note this is not Optically Clear. There are several options out there as well but at a higher cost. Figure 31 cents / square foot into your cost.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I'm not a fan of the DOL1360Z Lam. I did a graphics package on a Kia Sportage a few months ago. Avery 2105 vinyl, with DOL1360Z lam. Within a month the customer returned, and the stripe, down the flat side of the vehicle, no curve at all, had shrank about .25in, in less than a month. Vinyl and Lam shrank, leaving behind only adhesive. I started using all 3M vinyl and laminate at that point. Been pretty pleased with the 3M Envision print wrap series, but i will be switching to the IJ180mC-10 the next time I order just because it's a new cheaper option with all the qualities I need out of the Envision.

The shrinkage has nothing to do with the 1360Z, you are using a calendered vinyl in 2105. We use a large amount of 1105/1360z for full wraps and just about everything else on vehicles and never have this issue.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This is more an issue of the base film then lam. The lam is not going to stay put if the film shrinks, but if the lam shrinks and the film stays you have a problem.

Christian @ 2CT Media

That doesn't sound right unless you're talking about a half roll or 30". Back when 1360 was still around I think we were paying around $350/roll for 54/150...

That said, I have high praise for Fellers Lamex brand cast material. I think we're paying about $325/roll and have had no issues. Otherwise Oracal 210 gloss is the only intermediate lam I have found that holds up longer than it is rated, the matte is OK but tends to not have as long of life.

Just my .02¢
That price isn't unrealistic, I know 2 of my local vendors were selling full rolls for less than that at the end of September when they were trying to clear their stock.