• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To premask or not to premask...Opinions please

stickermonkey

Hey from a waaaayyyyy up north in Cochrane Ontario. Where the bears are hungry and the moose are nervous! lol

Just wanting some opinions about premasking vehicle wraps or not? Do you premask your panels, or not? And what are your thoughts on the subject? I've seen more people not premask...I don't always. Only if it's a partial or something that has been contour cut.

Just curious...and if you have any suggestions...fire away!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think if you are using the proper laminated wrap material with air release there is no reason to premask.
If you are doing a partial that is contour cut with loose parts that have to stay in alignment then some low tack premask should be used.
I might be tempted to use premask on large verticle panels that I didn't want to stretch to far out of alignment with the next panel on an oversized box truck install.

wayne k
guam usa

stickermonkey

thanks Wayne...I'm just gettin' my feet wet with wrap installation. And yes..I agree that most panels are best left unmasked...and contour cut graphics are best masked in a low tack premask.

blackicefx

If lam'd, then no transfer tape, because most tapes won't allow for stretching or conforming which nulls and voids the purpose of using a conforming wrap media.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

stickermonkey

If lam'd, then no transfer tape, because most tapes won't allow for stretching or conforming which nulls and voids the purpose of using a conforming wrap media.

Matthew
BlackIceFX

True...but even if you have something that is contour cut in a very complex shape?

ProWraps

premask is a method used when there is no laminate. its a technique that isnt necessary with lam, and typically is no longer used.

grafixemporium

Not much man, just sitting here printing, printing, printing. Wondering if we're in a time warp or something. What's this "premask" stuff you guys speak of. Isn't that what they used back in '82 to letter trucks with?