• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To print or not to print

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Thanks in advance...

If material cost were not an issue and durability and longevity of your products and consistent colors were the only important things, would you use printed/laminated vinyl or premium/color change wrap material?

- Applications are all exterior. Signs and all ranges of vehicles (painted tankers, riveted box trucks, standard cars and trucks, trailers)
- Graphics are only 2 colors no gradients just solid

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a big client that has two-color solid logo and most of what I do for them is cast cut vinyl because that will last the longest by far...especially since one of those colors is red. Also painting second surface when possible is a superior option.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I don't sort my clients by body type but I agree with Tex. We did some Isuzu box trucks with cut 7725 vinyl - all the white paint wore off box part of the truck - the only thing left on the side was the vinyl lettering (it did not look good but was still there). We did them 8-10 years ago.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I always choose cut vinyl over printed. I have 2 vans I lettered with black and red back in 2007 and the vans are rusty but the lettering still looks pretty darn good (at least from the distance I saw them).

Val47

We print, because we have printers and that's what they are for. That said, we use the colored cast when it makes more sense to use the plotter only machines, and when the project requires a specific 3m, Gerber, or Oracal... Color. We don't regularly stock a lot of colors. We keep a few, because they are needed on a regular basis. But any thing else, need to order for that project. If it's less than a yards worth of vinyl, print it.
Interesting feedback on this thread. I like to see what others do, and why.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I encourage my customers to use cut premium vinyl where appropriates (which is most of the time for commercial vehicle graphics).
There are two related issues. One is that premium cast vinyl will last much longer (fading and durability) than any print. The other issue is effectiveness. Most of the printed graphics I see are just plain terrible. They look like someone threw up a plateful of spaghetti. Multiple outlines and split shades, armour plate and flames, and the usually dismal low-res image of something or someone that is unrecognizeable. For some unfathonable reason, the owners of these vehicles seem to be content zipping around without a clue that their $4k wrap job is a total waste of money (from an advertising and brand promotion perspective).
With freedom comes responsibility. Modern print technology gives us the ability to do things we didn't even dream of twenty years ago. But that doesn't mean we should. Usually, a simple one or two-color logo with plain, easy to read text is far more effective than a bunch of mumbo-jumbo slung on the side of a truck.

karst41

Thanks in advance...

If material cost were not an issue and durability and longevity of your products and consistent colors were the only important things, would you use printed/laminated vinyl or premium/color change wrap material?

- Applications are all exterior. Signs and all ranges of vehicles (painted tankers, riveted box trucks, standard cars and trucks, trailers)
- Graphics are only 2 colors no gradients just solid
Too vague

Tankers 3m IJ 40c- R Only with Luster Lam or Matt. NEVER use Gloss on a commercial truck.
again Tankers = 3m IJ40c -R

ProSignTN

I encourage my customers to use cut premium vinyl where appropriates (which is most of the time for commercial vehicle graphics).
There are two related issues. One is that premium cast vinyl will last much longer (fading and durability) than any print. The other issue is effectiveness. Most of the printed graphics I see are just plain terrible. They look like someone threw up a plateful of spaghetti. Multiple outlines and split shades, armour plate and flames, and the usually dismal low-res image of something or someone that is unrecognizeable. For some unfathonable reason, the owners of these vehicles seem to be content zipping around without a clue that their $4k wrap job is a total waste of money (from an advertising and brand promotion perspective).
With freedom comes responsibility. Modern print technology gives us the ability to do things we didn't even dream of twenty years ago. But that doesn't mean we should. Usually, a simple one or two-color logo with plain, easy to read text is far more effective than a bunch of mumbo-jumbo slung on the side of a truck.
Damn, You sound like I was saying it myself. Keep up the good work!

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I know there is definitely more labor in print/laminate/cut/transfer tape but I see a lot more premium digital material at about the 10 - 11 year exterior life expectancy. However I did realize that is typically unprinted material.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
The premium cast vinyl will retain it's color better, last longer, and be consistent from project to project. There's also the bonus of not needed to spend time laminating.

Billct2

I've been doing this long enough to go from paint to vinyl to digital and I can't believe I now advocate for "old fashioned" cut vinyl when ever possible if it's a long term out door job. Most of my vehicle clients have come to expect 5-10 years from a lettering job.