• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

To share or not to share? customer logo

Bigdawg

Just Me
I agree with Pat. If they paid you to recreate an already created logo - it's not yours. If you recreated it BUT DIDN'T CHARGE them to do it.... that's a different story.

But if you were paid for your work, I would send it to them... snobby or not.

JR's

iSign;829779[B said:
]"oh, that old job? you mean redrawing the logo from your patch? .. why not just give them the patch, it's really easy if you know what you are doing... I don't save easy stuff like that, as i have limited space and can always bang out another one next time we're doing business... so, if you're other vendor isn't able to work from the patch, let me know if there is anything you would like me to offer a bid on, & maybe we can include a CD of the artwork next time.[/B]
thanks"
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

JR

sardocs

I used to hate be asked by everybody to send files to the printer, the newspaper, the other sign shops, etc. Sometimes it's a logo they paid for, sometimes it's just a design I put on Billy Bobs truck. I made an invoice template for sending art out to whoever. Now that I charge a File Transfer Fee, I don't mind sending files out.

Attachments

• FTF template.jpg
    FTF template.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 105

Mainframe

I agree with Pat. If they paid you to recreate an already created logo - it's not yours. If you recreated it BUT DIDN'T CHARGE them to do it.... that's a different story.

But if you were paid for your work, I would send it to them... snobby or not.

+1

GoodPeopleFlags

I agree with Pat & BigDawg. You've lost the customer regardless. They would rather deal with someone closer to them. Can't blame them for that. This other company is going to charge them to clean up their logo, just like you did. They just want to save money. Can't blame them fro that, either. You got paid to clean it up. Why hold it hostage? For what? They're gone. Politely send it and they might use you in the future. Don't send it and they definitely won't.

If the other shop was in town, first I would want to know why they were going elsewhere. Could be cuz somebody knows somebody, etc. In that case, I'd send them a low res .jpg but since they're out of town, send it.

signpro

Manager
^ i agree to some extent, i'm not laying claim to the logo itself, only the useable files. they still have their original sewn patch, AND i sent them a decent size JPG of my new file, that, if someone wanted to, could recreate the logo for this project i guess. not much i can do about that.

I'm not much of one for confrontation with customers, even via email. but i'm still reluctant to send my AI files on principal alone. I'd like to offer to send it directly to this company producing these labels, for this purpose only.

~~~
iSign... similar situation here too with my county. we used to the Sheriff squad cars. well, new sheriff came to town, and has a friend in a different county that does vehicle lettering. guess what?? i now see the squads with MY DESIGN on them, being done elsewhere. what really bugs me is my county tax dollars are going to support a business in a different county!! they didn't even check with me or the other 2 shops IN OUR COUNTY for bids... just took it elsewhere. off topic, but i know what you mean! kind of upsetting, and not much i can do about it. not gonna argue with the sheriff dept. besides, it was kind of a pain in the butt account anyways, but principal of the matter is what gets me!!

sign master

If you charged them and received payment then it is there design and should be given. I am disturbed that so many of you would not do this???

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Slamdunkpro

A customer from out of town just emailed me asking for the original artwork from a job i did for them last fall. they said they are placing another custom order with a different vendor, and are requesting original AI, EPS or outline files. ........
Thanks
Kurt

Read .EPS file into Photoshop; flatten; save as 72dpi jpg; reopen jpg; save as Photoshop EPS ; send THAT

"It's the only EPS I have"
"Have a nice day"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It was mentioned about giving them your software files or it’s your re-creation or whatever.​

Any smart cookie on the other end is going to quickly bad-mouth you for doing what is so obviously, your own problem.

You provided a service and project for this company and were paid for it. Now, because you didn’t word it correctly, you want to sabotage someone else’s project because you really can’t do it for 4¢ each….huh ??

You had to re-do their original file because you had to for your own needs…. not their needs…. and they paid you. How is their paying you for something YOU needed not considered their property and why haven’t you given it to them yet ??

I don’t understand your dilemma. I see what you’re talking about everyday and frankly…. not impressed with how the majority change sides on a daily basis.

Sign Shop A takes said patch and projects it onto a board. You charge for it and are paid for it. You give it back.
Sign Shop B hand draws it onto a board and you get paid for doing it. Then you hand it back.
Sign Shop C vectorizes it and cuts it out or prints it and gets paid for it. You, on-the-other-hand, won’t give it back and want to charge dearly for it’s return to the rightful owner.

Why is it getting to the same end results for a customer…. means you get to decide what it’s safe return is worth ??

It’s a re-creation with a few variations for crying out loud. You already got paid. Why are you now holding it for ransom ?? How much repeat work do you ever intend to get with this sort of attitude ??

jiarby

This is the real problem here....

Because you charged him to redraw the patch they believe that they have already paid you for the art work. You did not adequately communicate at that time what the charge was for: extra labor to produce their job because they did not provide you with a print ready file.

You have only 3 choices...
1. Tell them to pound sand... "I am sorry, the fee you paid last time was not for a file, it was for the extra labor required to produce your sign without useable art. The files, jigs, and tooling we produce to make a finished sign are proprietary to our manufacturing process and will not be useable by a different shop"

2. Give them what they want. Create a 72 dpi bitmap and save it as an EPS file (or PDF). "Here is the file we used to create your job last time. We hope you will consider using us next time if it does not work out with your new vendor.... we can ship to you!"

3. Try to get paid for the file. "Hey Bob! Good to hear from you again. What!? You are using a different company?? Was something wrong with us?? I thought you were very happy with the last job!? The file? Well, yes, we do still have the file.... but we retain file for US to use for your job in case you re-order.... NOT to send to a competitor to make their job easier. They certainly can reproduce the art just like we had to, and if they can't you should run away. If you REALLY need it, we have an "Art Package" which is a CD that contains all versions of your file to use as you wish... a high res jpg, a b/w version, the master file, etc... Even though we have the master file it does take time to create the disk and all the different formats... We charge $250 + tax & shipping. it may be cheaper to pay the new guy to redraw it. What would you like to do??"

I ran into this two or three years ago. We did a bunch of banners & window decals for a local school. A few months later I got a call from a middle man broker that wanted me to send them the file for the decal art. The broker sold them some tee shirts and they wanted my art on them. I declined. They said that the screen printer could re-draw it but that was going to cost them a design charge that they wanted to save, but if I would not give them the file then they woudl just have him re draw it.

I was apalled. I said "Why are you willing to pay HIM for the art, but not willing to pay ME for it??" They did not understand.. I never heard from them again. No loss.

royster13

Are you going to charge for for all the time you spent researching on Signs 101?....lol.....

I just give them out as requested but it does not happen often....I probably waste far more time sending out copies of invoices that clients had already paid....

tintguy31794

I'm all about charging for whatever I need to, but I also do my best not to piss off the customer.

If in your next communication you simply email her the file along with a document and ask her to sign it and fax it back to you. The document will explain that you own all rights to the file and that you will be happy to send this file over to uline for this single project request. This document will also include the the cost of the file that will be waived for this 1 time use deal. If the file is used outside of this arrangement then the company agree's to pay for file release charges.

If you have a boss make him the scapegoat and tell the client you can't release artwork without having this signed.

I think it would keep the client from getting pissed at you, because you are giving her exactly what they want with an acknowledgment that you own the file and can charge for it (but your not this time to help her out)... the clients that are usually buying this stuff have to get approvals and it is an annoyance to go back and ask for an addition $50+ dollars.....

Make the customer happy... especially the one that can buy 20,000 of anything.

ps I just realized this thread is long gone and over, but I spent five minutes of my life responding to it so i'm posting it anyway :D