• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tomato Red Wrinkles on Oracal 651 Clear

garisimo

For the most part printing on 651 Clear with the DC4sx has been great. When we get the occassional red bordered sign or a sign with a long stretch of horizontal red (printed across the width of the machine) if I use the Tomato Red spot color significant wrinkles show up towards the end of the print pass. I have tried reducing density for that specific color, turning double dot on/off, and adjusting the speed of the print. To no avail. I have to print these signs as a magenta yellow mix to avoid wrinkles. Anyone out there having similar issues and have workarounds? I ordered a 10 yard roll of 751 clear to see if the premium vinyl makes a difference. I know that Summa's clear works well, but the cost is a bit prohibitive. Suggestions for other budget priced clear vinyl are welcome!

PGSigns

Find Jim Dogget her on 101. He was a long time Summa guy and is as good as anyone on these problems. I use a lot of 651 white in mine and it does real good. Never tried the clear, what settings are you running it at?
Jimmy

gabagoo

I am not a Summa guy but I bet the red uses more heat and the glue is slipping on the backing paper. I experienced that on our Mimaki with certain clears. They would just tunnel up before reaching the print head.

meltsner

I know this is late, but I was wondering the same question.... I've had the same problem recently with Intense Red, except the wrinkles were all the way (and it's the DC4). I bumped the density up to 13000, never thought of going down. Didn't fix it, but turning double density on did, although it took twice the time. Got me by in a pinch, and it was a short job.
Also, the job used 3651G clear vinyl.

Interesting idea gabagoo. Might be a thought.....

BadAss

651 prints great. We have used it for all of our 24" stuff for over 2 years now and no problems ever...