• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Total Noobie....

Lonely Fisherman

Hello :signs101:!

I'm almost a Total Noobie to the vinyl sign business. Almost.. because I've been applying vinyl graphics and signs for more than 10 years but I've never made one on my own. Most of my application work has been on over-the-road trucks and trailers including one fleet of 120 new dry van trailers last year. (And I also have a full-time job)

I just won a bid for signs on 60 trucks (semi-trucks) that are being delivered in October and I have another bid for stripes and logo on 40 new semi-trailers being delivered in the 4th quarter of 2005. The trailer decals are 3 color with a logo overlay and measure just over 40' long.

My sign supplier had one of those 'mid-life crisis things' a few months ago and decided to run off with his neighbor's wife. His two employees are looking for a new boss so I'm considering the purchase of all new equipment including a 48" cutter in the very near future. (No, I don't want to buy his old stuff! I just don't want to get in the middle of his domestic problems)

I really like doing the application work and I'm looking forward to getting into a new phase of this business. Truthfully, I wanted to get into the design and manufacture side but I just didn't want to compete with my supplier, he's been a pretty good guy up until recently. Now that I can't get in touch with him anymore, it's a good time to take the plunge.

This seems like a great place to get some ideas and some advice from those of you that have the design and manufacture experience. I'm really looking forward to reading more!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Welcome to Signs 101. Best of luck with your new direction. It sounds like you're off to a good start.